help guys wanting to start a saltwater tank

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

DuckHunter13

by DuckHunter13

I have had my freshwater tank for about a year now and am really enjoying it. I am just getting kinda of bored with it and really exciting when i see the saltwater tanks. I dont like to jump into anything though so i would like some advice on starting and maintaining a saltwater tank. thanks in advance for all your guys help

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Well it took you a little longer then I to get bored with a community tank. I made the cheaper switch to cichlids. It's a huge bandwagon but for good reason. These are the closest fish I know to saltwater. I've been asked several times if it was saltwater. These fish use the whole tank and are soooo much more fun to watch and interact. I sold off 14 neons 7 rasboras and 3 rainbows, which were the hardest to let go, just to make room for a cichlid breeding tank.
27b38-lab orange 001.jpg
eb1bb-lab orange 003.jpg
0a1ab-new fish 003.jpg
aa3ec-round 1 cichlid 002.jpg
94167-round 1 cichlid 003.jpg

jerimeb

by jerimeb

go for it and dont look back @ f/w! do alot of reading, theirs about 1000000 different oppions but , take them all and average them out. i just do what the tank tells me too.youll learn through time what not to do and what to do.#1 cycle ur tank for a month or two.#2 test ur h2o, nitrites, nitrates,amona, ph, kh, calsium. watch the spikes.#3 add only a couple fish @ a time. if u put to many in bio overload, 1 fish everyother week orso. #4do ur weekly water changes till ur tanks established,then u can go monthly. can help more r u going fishtank or reeftank? dont get on everyday but ill try, goodluck

DuckHunter13

by DuckHunter13

thanks for the advice if i do it i want to start with just the fish i believe from what i have been hearing it is the easiest but i would like to advance into some coral also but am very unfamilar with many of these things but am enjoying learning just dont wanna get in over my head

itsanono

by itsanono

That tank has no representation of a saltwater tank. Quit misleading people.

pnavarro170

by pnavarro170

read the thread first. he didnt say it was saltwater already. jeez

dream2reef

by dream2reef

jdak never reads all the threads.

richie1m13441

by richie1m13441

Do you live near a beach ?

8 posts