Brown algae: remove or wait?

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Engprof

by Engprof

I've read that the brown algae on decorations, plants and glass is not an uncommon symptom of starting a new tank, so I am not surprised to see it appear a few weeks into my first aquarium (30 gal). The consensus of what I have read indicates that this will run its course as the tank matures. My questions is whether I should remove it by scrubbing it off the rocks and plants or allow it to run its course? I do wipe the small spots off of the glass.

I also lost one of my seven guppies a few days ago. A tequila sunrise guppy who floated kind of listless in a top corner for a few hours before jerking around spasically for about 15min before dying.

I haven't read anything to make me think that the relatively minor amount of algae growth I am seeing would harm fish, so is this a coincidence?

I have been testing the water regularly for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, ph, alkalinity and hardness with results that are consistently in the "safe" areas except the water is a bit hard. Additionally, I have done 20-30% water changes every few days.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I had this problem when i started a 15 gal baby tank and the first thing i did was to buy a small pleco, it went to town, ate all the algae and is growing quick because of the amount of food. One other thing would be to lower the light into the tank which will slow it down. I would only clean the glass so you can see, and i would buy a small pleco like a clown or long finned bushynose.
f06b2-1_Albino_LF_2009_5__Small_.jpg
5ce75-clown-pleco-lg2.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Guppies actually prefer harder water. Its up to you whether or not to scrub the brown algae. Leaving it shouldn't hurt anything, but if it's driving you crazy then have at it.

Alasse

by Alasse

Technically its not algae, its diatoms that frequent a new tank or appear in low light situations.
Lowering the light doesnt help, it will bloom if you have an excess of silicates in your tank

If it cleans of very easily them its diatoms, if it take a little bit of effort its a brown algae type

Engprof

by Engprof

It comes off very easily, so diatoms it must be. I don't mind it if it is part of the process and will go away at some point.

5 posts