oscar tankmates

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

ndevlin0

oscar tankmates

by ndevlin0

I want to know what would be the best tankmate for oscars.
Green severum?
Convict cichlid?
Green terror?
or any other suggestions?
Thanks!

serial32

by serial32

I'm not completely sure about the other 2 but I don't see why Convict Cichlids wouldn't get along with Oscars considering they are both Cichlids. 1 rule for for Oscars though, if it fits in it's mouth, it will go in it's mouth.

miami754

by miami754

How big of a tank are we talking?

gumbii

by gumbii

oscars need huge tanks... 150G+... i have a 100g tank with 3 pairs of green severums...

miami754

by miami754

I am in no way trying to be rude, but there is definitely not a rule that says if two fish are cichlids - they are compatible. This could not be further from the truth. You need to do a great deal of research (more so than with other FW fish IMO) before jumping into cichlid species you will keep together.

Now, I am assuming you have a huge tank or else you would not be asking this question in the first place so I will proceed with this assumption.

The whole reason you can keep oscars and convicts together when they are adults is because convicts are much more aggressive. An oscar is a great deal bigger than a convict, but the convict can survive because of its aggressiveness. Now, you may run into problems if you mix these fish when they are younger. This is because the oscar will be around the same size as the convict and the convict will probably tear him up. Just something to think about.

gumbii

by gumbii

well... in that case you could say you could have angel fish with oscars... i've seen full grown angels in an oscar tank before and both lived fine... since the angel fish are known to be more aggressive than an oscar...

alot of fish are compatable with oscars as long as it doesn't fit in thier mouth, or you aren't putting an oscar into a species tank with a colony of some africans... a colony of auratus melachromis will kill an oscar and i've seen that first hand... well it didn't kill it... but you know...

right now i have another tank with a pair of severums, angels, convics, honduran red points, and pikes together... that tank is one of my first tanks and all of the fish are at least 5 years old living together... some where born in that tank... anything is possible if the tank is big enough...

OscarFan18

by OscarFan18

If you have a VERY large tank, A pacu bigger than the Osc ar should be ok. However most of the time Oscars are considered a solitary fish. They don't get along with much. They are are very big and powerful fish!

CrzyCrlyRed5237

by CrzyCrlyRed5237

I have a smaller female Jaguar cichlid and a Peacock bass with my 2 Oscars. My Oscars are more interested with each other then the other fish. The biggest Oscar is @ 13 inches, the jaguar about 6 inches. Really my experience with my Oscars is the bigger they get the less active/aggressive they are. When they were small they would chase everything. The Jaquar is female also, the male I have is VERY aggressive, the most aggressive fish I own, he is kept in his own 60 gal octagon, so be careful. The Jaquar female stays calm with the Oscars and mostly stays in her log decoration. I have never seen the Oscars go after her. Also I have a 5 inch chocolate albino pleco in the 120.
With all of my aggressive tanks my experience is that if you introduce fish about the same size at about the same time they seem to get along okay. This is because they do not have a set territory yet. There are problems sometimes, thats why I have 7 tanks, sometimes it takes awhile to get the right balance.

rp3988

by rp3988

I have seen flowerhorn leaving with Oscars, however you can't feed it live food. Flowerhorn will become very aggressive and might kill you Oscars.

prskiller

by prskiller

I have a convict housed with my oscar and they get along just fine. They stay out of each others path but both are juvies so things could change once they both grow.

oscar tankmates

10 posts