Small worms

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

Ezeanes

Small worms

by Ezeanes

I was cleaning my tank yesterday and removed my glass canopy and water ran in my tank with little clear worms I dont know if there paracits some of my fish eat some I had gravle vac there and started siphoning as quik as I could and got as much as I could did 50% water change does any one know what thay might be has anyone had this happen will my fish be ok any advice will help thankyou
dee66-2011-09-13 19.47.09.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

You have some really nice looking fish. I'm not sure what you have in your tank, but i would treat for parasites just to be safe.

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

Yah im gonna treat it for worms see what I cant find for it at my lfs. Thank you for the fish comment I prize them my first long term tank im hooked im gonna try a planted tank now.
a8b57-2011-09-27 08.11.06.jpg

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

Yah im gonna treat it for worms see what I cant find for it at my lfs. Thank you for the fish comment I prize them my first long term tank im hooked im gonna try a planted tank now. Any suggestions?
89256-2011-09-27 08.11.06.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Planted tanks are awesome! You might want to start with a low tech tank, using hardy, easy to grow plants that don't require huge amounts of light, CO2 and fertilizers. Start with a good substrate, (i use ecocomplete, but there are other options), and choose your plants carefully. Cryptocoryn wendtii is my all time favorite. Anubias, java fern and java moss are also good choices--these all grow best attached to drift wood.

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

What do u thank about the diy c02 set ups I plan on makeing one do to cost of a real setup

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

I used first layer pure laterite when I set this tank up 3weeks ago I thank my rocks might be to big I dont know
829d5-2011-10-07 11.34.30.jpg

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

I like to use clay, for example "Special Kitty" brand kitty litter, which is pure baked ground clay. It looks and acts like gravel but it has all the nutrients of soil.

Here is a chemical analysis: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilize ... jamie.html
Here is one of the videos of my tank, which had 100% kitty litter substrate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3ikKTwTEKs

The kitty litter's color depends on where you buy it. In Cleveland, Ohio it was that gray you see above. The kitty litter I bought in North Carolina is white like sand.

I like it because it's cheap ($3 for 25 pounds) and easy (no capping layer needed, no rinsing needed). The one cautionary advice I would say is to add your water slowly, because if it gets stirred up by dumping buckets of water on it, it takes about a day for the dust to settle. But that's true with lots of substrates; soil and other things, too. Pour your water into a bowl in the fish tank when filling it up for the first time and you won't have any problems. :)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I used a DIY unit for a couple of years on my first planted tank. I saw some benefits, but didn't get the results that you can get from a pressurized system. How many watts per gallon do you have?

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

I like that idea but GF wan'ts to use sand I dont know how beneficial it is for plants might use both kitty liter for first layer (save 16bucks on first layer) and sand on top make her happy;) good advice thank you

Small worms

16 posts • Page 1 of 2