Is my new lighting causing algae growth on my lace rock?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

roxybella

by roxybella

Since I bought my new light (Coralife T5 w/dual lights.....1 10,000k 28 watt white & 1 Actinic Blue light) it seems that algae is starting to grow on my lace rock. Although I'm only guessing that's the reason for the algae growth. I'm wondering if cutting back on the amount of time the light is on will stop the growth and eventually rid the lace rock of algae? I liked the look of the rock better WITHOUT the algae on it. Also....are there any chemicals or anything I could add to the water to stop the growth and rid the rock of algae. I really don't want to pull all that rock out already and scrub it clean. Any good information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. : )

jackspratt

by jackspratt

jackspratt

by jackspratt

And thats on my Lace rock too!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Make sure that the bulbs that came with your new light weren't for salt water tanks. Something about the light spectrum can cause algae blooms in freshwater. Otherwise, try cutting down the number of hours you have your lights on. Cut it down drastically, if needed. Personally, i would aviod using chemicals.

roxybella

by roxybella

Thanks for the info. I will try to cut back on the amount of time the light is on. The light I have, I believe, is for reef or saltwater tanks.....doh!!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

what kind of algae...cladophora algae is like a plant as long as it is pruned (I've plenty of it under control)

so what type of algae - for some algae is not so bad

6 posts