flowrate for canister filter

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

roxybella

by roxybella

I have a fluval 305 canister filter which is a larger filter than needed for my 55 gallon. I'm wondering if I should cut the flowrate back on it. It creates alot of movement in the water and I'm not sure if that's good or bad for my cichlids. They do sometimes seem to like "swimming upstream" where the outlet is pumping water out. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
80695-S7300724.JPG

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I do not think so, the flowrate on a 305 is only 185 gph, (http://www.aquariumguys.com/fluval-305- ... ilter.html) that's nothing, i have two aquaclear 110's on my 55 and they do between 500-1000 gallons per hour. A rule of thumb is the flow rate should be about ten times the gallons of your tank, so you would want 550 gph of filtration, so going by that you want at least two 305's on your 55.(not saying buy another, I just added that for emphasis.) Also as a side note the flow rate they advertise on the box is usually never achieved in an aquarium because they do their tests without anything in the filter, so in reality the flowrate can be as litle as half what they say.

roxybella

by roxybella

Well thanks for that info. The filter was rated for up to a 70 gal. tank. I didn't realize that they test them without filters in them.....and I didn't know that the rule of thumb is 10 times the gallons of my tank. I'm new to the aquarium world.....thanks for the info. And..... nice tank you have.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Most people on this site i think will agree that what the company says a filter is suitable for is not nessisarily true, but i think you will be fine with that filter and thank you yours is very nice too.

pro68camaro

by pro68camaro

fish enjoy water movement actually. it makes them feel at home as if the were in a lake or river out in the wild. and the way i look at it is the better you can keep your water filtered the better. I have a eheim filter that is rated for a 105 gallon that I have on my 55. I have it set on stream mode were it alters the current flow from min to max to make it feel natural for the fish.

5 posts