questions about ich. HELP!!!

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

pro68camaro

by pro68camaro

hey i just discovered a couple white specs on my fish fins assuming they have ich. ive had it once before when I first started my fish tank about a year ago and treated it with ich medicene and turned the heat in the tank to 86. cleared up in a few days without a fish dying. that was when I had african cichlids. I only did water changes to top off the tank as the water evaporated. now I have discus and I tryed doing water changes more frequently and now I have ich again. so Im wondering that if my house water could be infested with the parasites. i livein the country and have well water. when I had my cichlids and didnt do water changes Ive never had a problem, in fact they were reproducing often. also im wondering if I can use ich medication with live plants?

Alasse

by Alasse

Ich only attaches to stressed fish. Healthy fish will very very rarely get ich.

Ich is present in most water sources.

How planted are we talking? If the tank is a jungle of plants and the ich is bad, medication can upset some plants, but they generally recover.

If you feel safer can you remove the fish to a hospital tank and treat there. Turn the heat up on their original tank and in 3 days the ich will be gone as they have no host.

What temp do you keep you discus?

pro68camaro

by pro68camaro

its not to heavily planted yet. i just started with the live plants in it and a waiting for the to grow. the tanks been up for a year though
my room I have the tank in generally is warmer and the tank will stay from 78 to 82 without the heater on in the summer. i try to keep it around 80 to 82 degrees.
couldy fish be stressed just from me working on the tank alot lately?
is the best way to cure ich is by doing water changes? or what should I should i do?

3 posts