driftwood from rivers or lakes

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

comingback2fish

by comingback2fish

hi and ty in advance
i have a 50g running with water only and trying to learn about planted aquariums before anything goes in.
i am looking for any suggestions on driftwood that i find in rivers or lakes.
what has to be done to clean them and make it TANK READY.
i have read that boiling is one option but what if the pice is too big to boil or to put in oven?

Alasse

by Alasse

I would put it in a container of some sort and pour boiling water over it and give it a good scrub, thats what i did with my 4ft piece. In between the few water pourings and scrubs i let it dry in the sun. The wood will, chances are depending how long they've been in the waterway, leach tannins. These are harmless though

SCopp

by SCopp

I live here on the Oregon Coast, and find my wood on the beach after a good storm. I just take a scrub brush to the wood and pour hot water on it like Alasse said. My sailfin and Rubberlip Pleco take care of the rest.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Don't put wood in the oven. That just doesn't sound like a safe idea. If you aren't satisfied with the boiling water and a scrub brush technique mentioned above, you can also use pure bleach (as long as you thoroughly rinse the wood afterwards).

Alasse

by Alasse

You can oput wood in the oven, but you need to w3atch it closely, not a preferred option really

5 posts