Cichlid advice wanted

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Cichlid advice wanted

by natalie265

Hey all. So, my venture into goldfish ended up being a complete disaster. Some may remember i was having difficulty keeping them alive. Based on some feedback from you all, i think the main problem was it was just too hot in there (this is my tank at work and i do not control the temperature). SO i'm going back to tropicals.

I have kept fish for years, but never African cichlids. My interest in them was piqued recently helping a friend pick out some fish for his African tank. I'd love to get a few peacock cichlids and maybe one or two other species. Any stocking suggestions? It is a 55 gallon tank. Is that even big enough for peacocks? I know there are some cichlid fans on here. Any advice appreciated.

neontank

by neontank

sounds good when i got my new tank i wasnt brave enough to do the transfer but apparently they are colouful intresting fish

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yea 55 is plenty big enough. You could have some acei and yellow non-dog labs. Several Just keep in mind the normal rule of thumb. Severums are cool too. Just be choosy in colorings know what the fish is supposed to look like. I found too knowing that will help you pick out a fish that may not look very good at the lfs. I've dropped them in my tank and my gf is mad I paid for such an ugly fish lol then a week or two they are so perfect. Anyway cichlid sand is a must google that and shop online. 82 degrees anything above that they get more aggressive as well as feeding live food. Have tons of hiding spots even the big fish can get in they feel safe that way and happy. No live plants if you have bigger fish. Firemouths are cool I got a pair free someone brought back to petland they fight together I really need to get video of that. They are one of the most interesting fish that will use every part of your tank. Unlike community fish that seem to not be aware of everything around them lol. I'm babbling congrats on the switch they cost more but are more hardy. Oh yea spirilina food for sure anything high in that all types of food they love it all!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Thanks for the reply. Why do you say that cichlid sand is a must?

Have you ever heard of a black calvus and do you know if they would be compatible with a peacock? I love the aceis! So what do you think about the stocking scheme of:

3 peacock
3 acei
3 black calvus

Is it typically good to have only one male of each species?

esparzar1

by esparzar1

not gonna work.....peacocks are from lake malawi but are usually not recommended with mbuna (acei). Black calvus are from lake tanganyika and are definetly not recommended with other lake malawi fish. Typically for a 55 gal/4 ft tank you want 3 species with 1M/4-5F for each species. I'd stick with mbuna only (no peacocks/calvus). I'd also avoid the acei in a 55gal due to them getting over 6in long. Check out cichlid-forum.com to better answer your african cichlid questions! I've attached a very helpful link for beginners of african cichlids with a 55gal tank. Hope this helps! Good luck.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c ... er_55g.php

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I don't think there is a big deal with keeping mbunas and peacocks together, i have and everyone is fine, and also many other people keep mixed tanks, I think that line up sounds alright except 3 acai will probably be too big. Btw i love calvus but no fish store near me has ever even heard of one.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, if anything, i'd rather forget the acei and build a stocking around the peacock and/or black calvus.

esparzar, thanks for the link, but most of the fish listed as being compatible with peacocks are 6 inches or bigger, and i agree, that is too big for a 55 gallon. Why do you say that lake malawi and lake tanganyika fish are not compatible? Is it the temperament of the fish or different water conditions?

Thanks for the feedback all!

esparzar1

by esparzar1

Natalie,

Your spot on! Most temperaments and water conditions are in fact different for the various lakes. Of course there are a few exceptoins but for the most part, lake malawi fish are too "active" and "aggressive" for most tang species.

You could easily do just a peacock tank or tang tank (Black calvus) in a 55 gal if you perfer. With the peacocks the same rules apply 3 species of (1m/4-5F). Peacock males a very beautiful but the females can be rather drab. You could also look at doing an all-male tank with Peacocks or Mbuna. I wrote an article on the all-male mbuna tank. It's another great option if you want lots of color and activity! Attached is the article. Good luck on whatever you decide.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/view ... bcf7a6b942

Ddman18,
Mixing peacocks and mbuna can sometimes be a success but you need to be really careful on what species you mix. About the only exceptions to mixing mbuna into a peacock tank would be Iodotropheus sprengerae (Rusty), Labidochromis caeruleus (Yellow Lab), and Pseudotropheus sp. "Acei". Youy could try other mbuna species but the risks become greater with more aggressive mbuna species.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Thanks. I guess i need to find out what is available at my lfs before i can decide which direction to go. One more question though. How does one pronounce "Mbuna"? Just so i don't make an ass of myself :)

esparzar1

by esparzar1

boo-nuh! The "M" is silent!

Cichlid advice wanted

16 posts • Page 1 of 2