HELP!!! FISH SCRATCHING BUT NO ICH OR VELVET?

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

OK, I have 1 blue gourami and he is scratching against plants, heater, everything yet i have treated the tank for ich 3 times now over the passed 2-3 weeks. other fish are doing it now and There are no white spots on him nor the other fish. What medication do i buy? Please Help, no-one ever answers.
PH-7.6
AMMONIA-0ppm
NITRITE-0ppm
NITRATE-0ppm

The medication also treats velvet, so it's not that. Help, please.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first the nitrate level at 0 is kinda odd, usually it hovers AT LEAST around 20-25

if there is flashing or scratching up against things it usually means the fish is irritable because of something...it is a sign that the fish may come down with a disease, probably ich

stop treating the tank...do a 75% water change, cut back on the feeding and observe, let me know how things are within 3 days

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I am not saying yasherkoach is wrong, and you can do as you please, however i would not change 75% of the water. I would do 50% at most because any more and you might shock your fish because of all the new water. However one thing you might try is aquarium salt, but be careful because it doesn't get filtered out or evaporate so you will need to do water changes to get it out.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

75% water change will not disrupt the fish as long as the temperature going in is about the same that is in the tank already

the key is to dilute the tank as much as possible

I do agree with the aquarium salt...it will help ward off any parasites int he water column

Skye01

by Skye01

Sadly I've had it in my tank, it could be skin flukes which can be treated with a proprietary medication, but it takes a really long time to get rid of. I currently use Sera Omnipur with a combination of the Sera Ectopur Salt which seems to have been the most effective treatment so far.

If you are able to get hold of the Ectopur Salts, don't then put in an additional dosage of aquarium salt, as the Ectopur has all sorts of minerals and oxygenating things in it to stimulate the immune systems of the fish.

Are any of your fish just hanging in the water "listless" with semi-clamped or clamped fins?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

flashing or "scratching" up against items means the fish is irritable over something...I agree nitrate at 0 ppm is kinda odd...should hover around 10-30 ppm...do you have any live plants?

course this thread is old, so I am sure the fish is okay by now (unless it passed on)

bigmac5

Re: HELP!!! FISH SCRATCHING BUT NO ICH OR VELVET?

by bigmac5

I have the same problem with my fish, no visible signs of fungus or ick, not all the fish are doing it. I use aquarium salt but have several loaches in my tank and have heard they do not tolerate the salt, do i worry if fish are not dying or displaying any signs of illness?

7 posts