Two quick questions to begin with

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Engprof

by Engprof

Hi everybody,

I haven't been able to find any threads on this particular issue here, so...

1. Do I have to have a canister filter to have live plants or is a power filter okay?
2. If I do not, is the Aquaclear 50 a sufficient filtration system for a 29 gallon planted aquarium?

More info if you want it.

I have been visiting this site, and many others, for several months, but this is the first time I have posted anywhere. I am nearly ready to start my first aquarium.
I haven't read all of the "I just started an aquarium without reading anything and now my fish are sick/dying and I'm looking for an internet miracle" threads, but I have read many and am looking for advice beforehand.

I want a planted freshwater aquarium that features a group of cardinal/neon tetras (or guppies I haven't decided yet) and some misc. invertebrates and loners if things go well and there is room. I have planned on doing a fishless cycle so that I can establish the plants and their arrangement before adding any fish. Right now, I only have a tank and a stand. I would like to purchase everything else to get started next weekend.

It is a 29 gallon tank and I had planned on purchasing an Aqualclear 50 power filter from the lone pet store in my small town (there is a PETCO 70 miles away).
http://www.hagen.com/usa/aquatic/produc ... 6100020101

However, I read recently on another website that a canister filter is basically a requirement on any and all tanks with live plants and the only ones at the pet store are rated for way beyond my 29 gallon tank and priced high enough to be a deal breaker on the whole project.

Alasse

by Alasse

A canister filter is not a must on a planted tank, i have 3 of them that are running internals only.

I'm not familiar with AquaClear filters to advise sorry

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I have 3 Aquaclear 110s and 2 Aquaclear 30s on a few tanks and they are running well, i go with at least half the max tank size it says, EX on my 15 i have an Aquaclear 30, half the max, and on my 55 an Aquaclear 110. so go with that as a guideline. They seem to be running well except one 110 has a problem with the impeller and it is noisy, but still keeps the tank spotless,besides that they run well.

Engprof

by Engprof

Alasse,

I am so glad to hear you say that because I really would like to include live plants. BTW your aquarium pictures are awesome and I think it is just great how active you are advising new people. I haven't posted until now, but have read much of your advice to other folks.

Dan,

Good to hear you have had luck with that brand. So would you suggest I upgrade my plan and go with an Aquaclear 70? The cost is only a few dollars. I thought I was upgrading already because there is an Aquaclear 30 and was considering a 50. I mean, the water can't be filtered too much, can it?

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Not necessarily, I mean you don't want to put a 200 gal filter on a 20 gal tank; however in my opinion the water cannot be filtered too much; however you might want to watch the water flow rate, and intake, especially if you are going with small fish and a densely planted tank just so the fish aren’t pushed or sucked around and have to struggle to swim around, and so the plants don’t get pushed or sucked into the intake. Its up to you, I would go with the 70 because it will filter more water, and you can adjust the flow rate, down to being about the 50 and if you have small fish set it low or if you do get slightly larger fish you can turn it up. I don’t want to tell you what to do but I will give suggestions. By the way if you were wondering on the 50 the max flow rate is 200gph (gallons per hour) and min is 66.6gph, while the 70’s max is 300gph and min is 100gph so they can be lowered. I hope this helps.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with DanDman, always never enough filtration...key to gph of a filter (gph = gallon per hour) is always go ten times as much as the tank, so let's say you have a 20 gallon tank, the gph should be at least 200 gph, understand?

as for worrying if fry or baby fish get sucked up into the intake tube; most Marineland Penguin filter, that hang over the back of the tank, have plastic mesh at the end of the filters, you may find fry or extremely small fish, let's say, 1/4" length fish go up into the filter, but believe it or not, they do survive......anytime I had filters, anytime I would clean the filter box - if the bio-wheels stop turning it means it's a good time to clean the filter out completely; rinse the filter pad, then replace - I'd find about 10 or so fry in the box, I'd just let them back into the tank and some will survive others may not.....the point is, unless you have fry roaming the tank consistently, then do not worry about the intake tube gobbling up small fish

for the 29 gallon tank...you should have at least 290 gph running filter

let us know how it goes

Engprof

by Engprof

Today I bought some equipment

Power Filter Aquaclear70. 40-70gal, 300gph
Air Pump Tetra Whisper 60gal
Heater Fluval M150w

I also purchased a hood with built in light. The back of the hood has perforated outlines for holes to be punched out. The filter takes up a lot of room but I can get away with only punching out a single opening if I place the heater right next to the filter intake.

This seems like a good way to avoid putting extra holes in the hood, but I wonder if it will have other effects. It seems to me that placing the heater next to the filter intake will cause the heater to be inefficient because the warmest water will be sucked into the filter and then cool and be exposed to a lot of air as it moves through the filter.
Does this make sense?

My initial thought was to put the heater on the end of the tank farthest away from the filter but that requires punching another hole in the hood.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I keep my heater under the part of the filter where the water comes out, this way all the heated water is moved around, and it kind of hides the heater, i do not think that your placement will make a huge difference, but i would get a thermometer and put it in different places in the tank to see any cold/hot spots.

Engprof

by Engprof

Thanks again for the advice everyone. The tank cycled just like I read that it would and I have added the first round of fish, although I moved away from live plants for now. I started with just three guppies and watched them blunder around and hide for two days before I decided to add four more. They schooled up within just a few minutes and seem to be conducting a group survey of the tank.

I know the tank can handle more fish, but I think I'll let it ride for a few weeks and see how everything goes.

I'd like to add another species. The pet store has barbs and mollies labeled as community fish as well. What I have read makes me think either of these would probably work.

Thanks again...

9 posts