Bloodworms and African cichlids

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I used to feed my african cichlids bllodworms one to two times a week as a treat because they loved them, however i read you should never feed african cichlids anything like bloodworms or beefheart because it will cause a protein overdose leading to bloat. However according to the bloodworms package there is about 10% protein, while my New Life Spectrum has a minimum of 36% protein, and i figured bloodworms would be good because they are natural, but now i feel i have been killing my fish. I was wondering can i feed my cichlids bloodworms or will it truely hurt them.

Alasse

by Alasse

I feed my cichlids bloodworms, have for many years

esparzar1

by esparzar1

I wouldn't recommend it. Bloodworms are high in protien and usually not suggested with cichlids. You might be able to do it with Haps and Peacocks due to them being more of a carnivorous type of cichlid. However, if they are mbuna it's best to stick to pellets (NLS) and fresh veggies for a snack (cucumber/lettece/zucchini)as they are know for being veggie eater! Hope that helps!

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Thank you for the information, but thats what i was wondering about you say bloodworms are high in protein, when the label says it has 1/3 the protein of NLS.

4 posts