Filter Question + Air Pump Question

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

montecarloZ38

by montecarloZ38

I finally moved all my freshwater fish to my old 29gal tank and using my 75gal as saltwater.
So far this is what I have: 30lb of live sand and 30lb of collected beach sand (total 60lb of sand). About 10lb of live rock (total goal is 100lb but cant afford it right now).

The tank is cycling right now and I am taking my time with it since there is no filtration or power head. I purchased a AQUACLEAR POWERHEAD 70 (400gph) on ebay for 31$ and Fluval 405 Canister Filter (300gph) for 120$. I think that should be enough water circulation using the 10x factor.

My question is: Since the Fluval 405 has 4 trays, can I use 1 for sponge and 3 for bio, will this be enough biological filtration if I just have 10lb of live rock and maybe 1 clown fish, 1 tang and 1 foxface? I will add more live rock latter but 5$/lb is too much for me right now.

Also I have a airpump for 100gal, do I need to use it or will the filter provide enough aeration ?

Thank you.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

what a car but anyways...the more filtration and water current the better also i have posted on here some where live rock for 1:99 a pound.you are also going to need a skimmer they are a life saver. and watch your nitrate levels with a canister. its hard to say if your stuff will be enough current..you could easy double that..if you end up with a 100 lbs of rock take the bio out of the canister and use chemical media only.good luck bud and others will have opinions also. the air pump may make to much salt creep but thats up to you.do you own that car ?.

frmnutn2sumtn

by frmnutn2sumtn

z38...i did the same conversion from cichlids to salt.....i have a fluval 404 and eheim 2217 for a 65g. Your gonna get decent flow from your return on the canister and powerhead but as pimp said when you add the live rock there will be more opportunity for dead spots, which means more flow may be necessary. Also, i was thinking the same thing and i stacked my fluval with bio noodles, but you have to remember this is not a sump or a bio wheel where large amounts of open air and 02 are being exposed for the good bacteria. This is one of the few downfalls of our canisters, but not a major one. I believe this is the reason pimp is suggesting making chem and sponges a major media in the canister, Good luck with the conversion dude..welcome!

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

if i might chime in here and agree with Pimp and Fr on the water flow issues - - i am running a 20 gallon long tank {12" tall and 30 " long} and i had 2 filters and 2 power heads and still had dead spots - - i finally upgraded to a filter rated for a 110 gallon tank {400gph} and after experimenting with the rock structures im down to one power head the filter and a red sea skimmer and ive got the dead spots pretty much under controll - - you are definately on the right path though good luck ....let's see some pics

montecarloZ38

by montecarloZ38

Thanks for all your help. Ill add another powerhead in a month or two. Actually I just sold my baby (montecarlo) treated it in for a 08 Hyundai Sonata.
Last edited by montecarloZ38 on Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

hows the hp on the sonata.lol i feel your pain bud..good luck

montecarloZ38

by montecarloZ38

Well my MonteCarlo had a 3.1 v6 with 162hp and my Sonata has a 2.4 4cyl with 158hp. When you consider the weight of montecarlo, the sonata is actually faster. Even at highway speeds (120mph lol) Plus its more gas efficient 20/30mpg
Should of went with a v6 tho which is 230hp

7 posts