Human Diet Only

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

Human Diet Only

by yasherkoach

In the last two weeks I've only fed the fish human food, as listed below:

Monday, May 9: beef liver
Tuesday, May 10: chicken
Thursday, May 12: chicken
Friday, May 13: calf liver
Monday, May 16: chicken
Wednesday, May 18: chicken liver
Thursday, May 19: fresh peas
Friday, May 20: chicken
Saturday, May 21: chicken liver
Monday, May 23: chicken & buttermilk biscuit

All the food are cooked and minced into extremely tinnie winnie pieces for the freshwater fish. No flake fish food is given or frozen fish food (though I may in the near future supplement their food plan with frozen bloodworms (that is, 100% bloodworms).

I've periodically liquid water tested the tank for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and oxygen levels, all were within normal range. Ammonia never rose higher than 0.50 ppm (which is not a toxic level), after a water change, the ammonia dropped down to 0.

I've found, so far, that if the fish are fed only so much that all the food is eaten within 2 minutes after I place the food into the tank, then all is fine.

So again, I have eliminated another processed item from the tank (fish flake food, wafers and/or pellets).

I will give you guys updates every so often over a period of a year.

The tank as of now is a little over 6 months without filtration of any kind, without overhead lighting (only sunlight as the light source), no water or flow pumps, and no heater (taken out only during mid-Spring to mid-Fall, then placed back into the tank for the colder months).

Only thing in the tank is the two flexible bubble wands powered by one air pump with two hoses and suction cups in order to produce the water surface agitation (oxygen).

Outside of this, only wood, live plants and rock with river pebble are in the tank.

All comments, critiques, suggestions and/or compliments (((smiles))) are welcome.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I've thought about giving my fish bits of shrimp, muscles and such, but beef liver and biscuits? That's certainly not the type of food they would typically encounter in their natural habitat. What is your theory behind this diet? You're an odd one, Yasher. :)

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

I have tried feeding my community fish a slice of cucumber but they never go for it.
Any suggestions?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

beef, chicken, calf liver...all the same pretty much, main point is, it's liver - and fish do eat other fish's liver, the other point is, I am trying to get away from processed fish food (like flakes, pellets, wafers - Natalie, no offense dear, but do flakes, pellets and/or wafers are found in their natural habitats?)

as for the bread - well most fish from experience either went for a worm or bread at the end of a fishing pole - of course a biscuit is not natural like the other foods I give, but they do like it - I sprinkle the bread, just a little, over the water surface and they devour it - any foods left over the snails will clean it up)

no theory actually - only, I am trying to stay away from all processed foods the best I can

I figure - if any theory is applied - that little pieces of liver or chicken is much better than fish flake food (understand?)

nevertheless, thanks for the comments - and yes, I am an odd one.............or an odd fish (((smiles)))

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

thanks Heidi

in the last week, I have put the fish on a food routine:

Monday: meat
Tuesday: no food
Wednesday: meat or poultry
Thursday: no food
Friday: meat or fish
Saturday: peas
Sunday: no food

once again, I will keep you guys up to date

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

post script:

and as always:

Thursday: water change 8 gallons
Sunday: water change 8 gallons (periodically prune plants/algae as needed)

chemical (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and oxygen) only tested if via observation a fish or more are not eating as usual; a fish or more are lethargic; and/or a fish or more are found dead

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

the above-listed last two posts are the only human intervention with the tank...all other times, the living inhabitants have the tank entirely to themselves which amounts to 167 hours and 40 minutes per week (water changes and feeding combined take about 20 minutes per week to perform)

All-Natural Eco System is the way to go!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

goodnight

dream2reef

by dream2reef

You really need a girlfriend Yasher. JS!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

dream, I have a wife...no need for another b***h on the other side of the fence (((smiles)))...but thanks for thinking of me :)

Human Diet Only

11 posts • Page 1 of 2