New Hobbyist

19 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

neo44

New Hobbyist

by neo44

Hey guys,
This is my first freshwater fish tank. It is about a month old now, and I have learned a lot from this site. I just wanted to know a few things and also any helpful suggestions are welcome. My fish tank is 26 gallon bow front with 9 fishes and couple of live plants. Fishes include few mollies, swordtails, and a chinese algae eater(which I bought yesterday). I have a java fern which does not seem to be growing anymore. I had planted bulbs of water onion, water lilly and aponogeton, but only water onion has grown so far. I also have a mopani wood and a fake plant in it. let me know what you guys think, and wanted to know if there s a better way of growing bulbs.
238ba-IMG_20110507_193045.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

more rock formation plus live plants (try anubias)...fish like caves and/or cover, that is, plants

try to create an ecosystem that mimics their instinct, understand?

neo44

by neo44

thanks
I am planning to add more live plants in the future. As of now I am just waiting on other bulbs to germinate. I have a limited budget so I don't want to spend money on plants that won't grow. I bought a java fern from petco, but it looks like it is dying. As for the rock formation you suggested I am heading to a local pet shop to see what I can find.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

a landscape store will have what you need at a low price (slate, sandstone, river rock/pebbles)

anubias, get about 3 of these plants, they are very hardy and can handle most newbie problems - slow growing but can withstand many different circumstances and likes low light

esk98

by esk98

your fish are a little more active and you should have some more cover, lke rocks and caves. like the one in this pic :)
38567-tropical-fish-tank-rocks.jpg

neo44

by neo44

just did a water change and added few things to the tank. I got three slates, a driftwood, and a water lilly bulb. I didn't add driftwood cuz the tank started to look a bit cluttered, plus I already have a mopani wood in it. Also realized my mistake with Java fern; I had buried the roots under the gravel just took em out lets see how that works out.
Eks98 love your tank especially the stone formation. aren't you worried they might fall on a fish or something?
thanks yasher
70b1a-IMG_20110508_185426.jpg

neontank

by neontank

hi there
welcome to the forum. I have never tried to grow any of my plants from bulbs. my LFS is pretty decent on plant prices i got 5 bunches of about 3 stalks each for $10 nzd.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

5fer5.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you're welcome neo

yes, java fern does best attached to wood (you can use a dark colored sewing thread to attach it)

key to caves in a smaller tank is, to stack one side of the tank, build ledges with the slate and stone/river rock to about 8 inches tall and leave the other side and the front part of the tank as open swimming area for the fish

you can place wood, leaning up against the ledges (usually 2 or 3 ledges will suffice)

but you do as you like - my only advice is, of course you like to please the human's eye for aesthetics but you must also meet a fish's or a living inhabitant's instinctual requirements too, and most if not all fish require caves or plant cover as security plus to lay their young, understand the balance we must attempt to attain?

neo44

by neo44

neontank, when I started the tank I had placed 6 bulbs, out of which only one sprouted. The tall plant in the back is the result of the one, i believe it is water onion.
yes yasher I know what you mean. there s a nice cave behind the orange slate that you see placed against the back wall, and i am still working on live plants to add. As I had mentioned earlier in my post my fish tank is about a month old, but I am still detecting Ammonia in it.
Yesterday's test results:
Ammonio: seems to be around 2ppm
Ph: 7.0
Nitrate: less than 20 ppm
To reduce ammonia I added(first time) bottled bacteria. I was wondering if I need to store the bacteria at room temperature or in a refrigerator?

New Hobbyist

19 posts • Page 1 of 2