Guppy attacked!

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Guppy attacked!

by natalie265

I am guilty of reckless fish keeping.

I bought a female betta yesterday. She looked like she might have a fungus (now i'm thinking it was just the water she was in was so filthy there was stuff floating around making her look fuzzy). In any case i stuck her in my little 2 1/2 gallon quarantine tank where i had a male guppy who also needed to be treated for fungus. I should have known better.

In the course of 24 hours she has torn his tail fin off right to the base. He is still alive, but can't even swim properly. She is back in her cup, and i can hardly stand to look at her, even though i know it was normal betta behavior and i am the one to blame. I just can't believe how quickly she destroyed him! I thought if she picked on him, i'd have at least a day or two to separate them before she did serious damage. I hope she doesn't go on a rampage when i eventually add her to my community tank!

I'm hoping the poor little guppy pulls through, but i have to say it is not looking good for him.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Lol I have some fish that are not supposed to be together but I even draw lines sometimes. Although I did contemplate putting my male in with fancy tails and guppies lol. Some have beautiful tails too. Your story makes me digress. Im sure your fish will be fine I've seen worse grow back in just a couple weeks overdosing with stresscoat. Not sure why but it works fast. I should buy stock in that place. Or at least sell their product.

neontank

by neontank

I know how you feel but the fish that had its tail ripped of was a penguin tetra and it was another penguin tetra that ripped it off

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, the guppy made it through another night, so maybe he WILL make it

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

fluffy white stuff usually means ich

but what really winds up killing a fish is stress...reason for fish compatibility

etag

by etag

female bettas are by far more aggressive then males...yet if you add to a community of 'dullish' fish...there should be little problems...

Guppy attacked!

6 posts