Need Help with list

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Should i get the African Dwarf Frog?

To much in the tank
50%
Might harass the fish
No votes
Get it
33%
Do more research
17%
Would fit in perfectly
No votes

Total votes : 6

toxicbiscuitj28

Need Help with list

by toxicbiscuitj28

This is my second thread that i have posted and i have a 20g tank and just wanted to know
would this list work or would i maybe overload the tank?
List:
4 Neon tetra
4 Rummy nose tetra
6 platy's ( 2 male, 4 female )
2 Corydora catfish
1 Betta ( male )
1 Khuli loach
I already have the 2 Corydora catfish, 3 of the 6 platy's ( 2 male, 1 female ),
the Khuli loach, 1 of the 4 neon tetra ( technically cardinal but still.. ).
I also have 2 mollies and 2 guppies but plan to give them back to the pet store.
I am quite happy with this list but i just want to know what you people think

NOTE: I am also planning to get an African dwarf frog ( ADF ) but i personally think that adding the ADF would overload the tank.
Thanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

You need to research the fish you are looking at getting.

Neons do better in schools of 5 or more. They will in all likelihood be attracted to you male bettas dangly finnage and will likely shred it Also it neons may not school with your solitary cardinal. Cardinals are hardier than neons, but cardinals will also be attracted to a bettas fins

Rummy nose do better in schools of 5 or more and also will not be exactly betta friendly

Platys main aim in life is to eat and breed, so you will soon have fry everywhere which will overload the tank. So unless you have somewhere to move them too, stick with males only or females only (i have girls only in my tank)

Corys are a schooling fish, requiring 4-5 friends to show normal behaviour. 2 is not enough.

Betta are definately better kept in a species only tank, or with just the cories and khulis

Khuli need friends, they are a schooling fish and require more of their own kind, preferrably keep them in 4+ fish group

Instead of keeping bits and peices of all sorts, you need to look at what you have and go from there

I would be giving back the mollies, guppies and whatever else doesnt fit

Some combos that will work

Betta with 5 cories & 4 khulis

6 platys with 5 cories and 4 khulis

6 cardinals with 5 cories and 4 khulis

5 Cardinals, 5 rummynose & 5 cories/ or 5 khulis

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

thanks for your reply.
i got the fish and everything is going ( at the moment ) quite well. The shop keeper only gave me 1 Rummy nose and he gave me 3 Neon's instead of cardinals, so he made a complete mess up of the tetra's. When i first added the betta in, There was 1 platy who kept constantly trying to bite his tail, but this only lasted a half an hour or so and has not happened again and they seem to be getting on grand. The tetra's are doing fine, the Rummy nose, the Cardinal and the 3 Neon's are swimming in a group so i'm glad no-one's getting left out. I am also quite sure that my platy is pregnant. I obviously know that she got pregnant at the store. She does have a dark spot behind the anal fin and her stomachs quite large. I have put her in a homemade fry container. The khuli is not eating and i would only see him about once every 1-2 day's but i would think this is normal behaviour.

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

Here's the URL to the video i made of the platy since i don't have a camera
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gy8IdaaAs-E
just put that in the bar

Alasse

by Alasse

So you asked for advice then went and bought them anyway.

What you have in your tank is not suitable. Pleasing for you, probably, but certainly not idea for the fish. Fishkeepers are sposed to do what is best for their tank inhabitants. As for the betta, i hope he comes through with all his fins.

Obviously you never even read my detailed post, or just decided to go ahead cause thats what you wanted to do anyway. Why bother even asking for advice?

Sorry but i wont be replying to your help question anymore. Have a great day

tekneb

by tekneb

The Khuli isn't coming out because he is alone. Nearly all loaches live in groups, when they're separated they become very timid and shy. How many Platys do you have in total? They can get to about 3 inches adult and the general rule to keep from overstocking is 1 inch of fish per gallon of water.

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

@Alasse
The day i posted about 5 hour's later i was going to a fish store 180miles out. I told the keeper about my original list ( the one i have now ) and he said there was nothing wrong with that. I know fish keepers have been known to give false information about fish compatibility but the one up in the shop, i have been dealing with for about 3-5 months
I took the betta out because i have a spare 5gal betta tank. Over time i will eventually get another loach, but when i went to my local fish store and bought the loach, they should have told me that it was a schooling fish. The platy's, The tetra's, The cory's and the loach are getting on pretty good, besides the loach being extremely shy. If no-one's getting hurt or stressed and the tank's not over-stocked than whats your point?
I would rather if someone ignorant would not comment on my post's anymore.

Alasse

by Alasse

Ignorant...well thats just plain rude

The LFS is not responsible for what you put in your tank, they are there to sell fish and dont care how they do it, rarely does a fish shop actually know what they are talking about. In that 5 hours you had before you left to go to the LFS you could have done the research yourself. The internet is teeming with information on compatible fish and what amount said fish do best at. Just because you were at the store doesnt mean you HAD to buy fish. The LFS didnt force you to buy them i'm sure.

No-one is stressed?, thats why you khuli isnt coming out, it needs friends. Just because they are surviving doesnt mean that is how they should be kept. For many fish to be truely happy they need their own kind, not have to try to get along with whats there just because they are lonely!

Ignorant.....not me.....i fully research a fish BEFORE i buy it.

toxicbiscuitj28

by toxicbiscuitj28

I went a bit far with the 'ignorant' thing. I did do my research on the fish and they all seemed compatible from what everyone said on the different site's. I did say 'beside's the loach being shy, every thing is going well'. I did take your advice but i don't think a fish store will take back most of my fish. I was barely able to get them to take the 2 guppies and the 2 mollies. That was also something i took your advice on. Getting rid of the 2 mollies and 2 guppies, i was thinking about keeping them.
Look, i'm new to the hobby and i agree, i should have got a better list but HOPEFULLY everything will work out and overtime i will get a new khuli loach.
I recently had a Pakistani loach, amazing fish but he jumped out of the tank.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

I hope you've researched the nitrogen cycle, beneficial bacteria, and what's called "cycling" the tank. Start with a low number of fish and wait weeks to add more or the ammonia will build up too quickly, causing something called "new tank syndrome".

Need Help with list

15 posts • Page 1 of 2