Green Spot Algae

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

JasonJ514

Green Spot Algae

by JasonJ514

I have a 75 gallon planted aquarium. I am running DIY yeast C02 through an AquaClear 50 powerhead filter. The plants were added about 2 weeks ago and everything looks fine except for now I am accumulating green spot algae on the glass and on some of the rocks/flourite. I am at 78 degrees and water conditions are perfect. I have 11 swordtail at the moment and it is heavily planted. Running 3 power compact flourescents for a total of 195 watts. Actual water volume is about 52 gallons.

any idea how to keep the green spot algae from growing or any fish, etc that may take care of it? I recently added about 50 nerite snails that I had in a 1 gallon tank. Going to see if they help at all..

Please post any ideas. Thanks..

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

Also, I was running the lights for 12 hours on, 12 hours off with an air pump running when the lights were off. I have cut back to lighting to 8 hours on, 16 hours off in hopes of cutting down on the algae..

any help is appreciated.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

so I'm the only one to ever have this??

tekneb

by tekneb

Lol patience will reward you my friend.

You are highly unlikely to find any kind of critter that can eat green spot algae. Algae eating fish and snails use a rasping motion with their mouth to get algae off glass, and green spot is stuck on way to well for the fishes little muscles to gnaw off. Your best bet to get rid of it is to be very diligent about scraping it off with a good algae scraper, and then add a few fast growing plants to compete with the algae for nutrients.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

thank tek..

I have multiple moneywort, java fern, java moss, water sprite, dwarf sag, green hygro, etc in the tank.. I cut my lighting back so I guess I will just see what happens. When I noticed it on the glass and some of the rocks, I wanted to combat the problem ASAP. I am picking up some Otto's today. I know they will not solve the problem, but hoping they will help the snails keep algae levels down.

I will also be purchasing a true semi-auto co2 setup tomorrow instead of the uncontrollable DIY yeast mixture as I have read that unstable co2 concentrations can lead to green algae outbreaks.

I will post some pics this weekend.

Again, thanks for the help!

Green Spot Algae

5 posts