10 gallon newbie

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Brook16

10 gallon newbie

by Brook16

Hello all, first post here!
I currently have a betta in a 5 gal tank, and want to move up to a 10 gallon. In speaking with a salesperson from a local store, he said that in addition to my betta, I could also add the following to the 10 gal:

2 danios
2 mollies
2 platys
2 corys
snail

I'm familiar with cycling, so nothing would be added until that is done. What is everyone's opinion on the amount and types of fish? All comments are greatly appreciated!

Brook16

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Cories should be kept in schools of 5+. It is tough to build a community tank around a betta. Male bettas can be aggressive towards tank mates, and conversely, their slow moving, flowing fins can be a target for faster fish. The danios will possibly be too active and nippy for the betta. Cories are usually a good match because they tend to keep to the bottom of the tank and the betta tends to keep to the top. Welcome to the forum.

Alasse

by Alasse

Personally i would leave the betta in the 5 gal, not always are they tankmate friendly and in the 10 gal do

5-6 danios (these require a school)
5 pygmy cories (school required)

or

3-4 platys
5 pygmy cories

or

3-4 mollies (these do better with some salt in the water)

Normal cories get too large for a 10gal, especially with 5 of them.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

or 3-5 cichlids jus sayin and a molly and betta would be cool to watch I think maybe. but yea cichlids.
0b815-new fish 003.jpg
2369f-Video 20 0 03 23-50.jpg
b1f21-round 1 cichlid 002.jpg
53dda-Video 114 0 00 21-31.jpg
5317c-Video 121 0 00 22-22.jpg

dream2reef

by dream2reef

That fourth one may eat the others idk tricky combo.

Catheroine

by Catheroine

If you want to build the tank around the male beta, I'd suggest adding 6 smaller tetras (like neon, or glow light). You could also add 2 female betas, instead, but don't add just 1, as your male will bully her to death. Danios will stress out the beta with all their fast movements and should never be mixed together. A snail would also be fine to add, but research it first- some snails will get as large as your fist.

Alasse

by Alasse

The only cichlids you could have in a 10gal are shell dwellers, all others get too big.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I like Alasse's stocking suggestions. I would also leave the betta in the 5 gallon if it were up to me. I disagree on putting female bettas in a tank with a male. Much too risky. Someone will end up dead.

dream2reef: that's a funny looking little cichlid. African or South American?

tekneb

by tekneb

Dream2reef is correct about cichlids being awesome, but the only one I can think of that would be OK in a 10 gallon are Kribensis. Feel free to check those guys out, they're gorgeous http://www.aboutfishonline.com/articles/kribensis.html

The general rule that most new aquatic enthusiasts follow is one inch of fish (using the fishes adult size) per gallon. So taking Alasse's suggestions, Danios and Pygmy Cories are tiny, so you can get about 8-10 fish in there. Platy's and Mollies get bigger, so you wouldn't be able to keep as many.

The problem with Betta's is that their personalities can vary greatly between each individual fish. Some are peaceful and great in a community tank, others will rip everybody else apart. You just don't know until you try, and frankly it's probably not worth trying.

Alasse

by Alasse

Ahh yes forgot about kribs. So kribs or shellies would do ok in a 10gal if you want a cichlid

10 gallon newbie

11 posts • Page 1 of 2