Buildin my own Custom Tank help me pls!!!

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

djjai_h

by djjai_h

Hi frends im building my own custom tank for Discus. Can any1 tell me what do we need to stick the glass ? What is the glue called ? Tel me fast somebody.

tekneb

by tekneb

Aquarium safe silicone sealant

Alasse

by Alasse

Your building a tank and you dont even know what the adhesive is called???? I hope its not a huge tank is all i can say

djjai_h

by djjai_h

I know we must use Aquarium safe silicone sealant. But i want to know what glue should be use to stick the glass edges together. Silicone sealant is to apply inside and outside of the glass but what glue should be use in the middle ?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

in a 55 gallon tank the water weight will be 600 pounds (excluding what else goes into the tank)

if I was you, I would build no more than a 10 or at most 20 gallon tank

you can use all the right cement you like, but if it is not properly hardened in place you best get on your flippers (((smiles)))

all I ask from anyone when they build their own tank is please please do the math

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

also, you can't use just any type of glass

it's best to just buy a nice tank

Alasse

by Alasse

[quote]I know we must use Aquarium safe silicone sealant. But i want to know what glue should be use to stick the glass edges together. Silicone sealant is to apply inside and outside of the glass but what glue should be use in the middle ?[/quote]

You dont apply silicon to the middle or outside (unless your putting strips on), which proves the point you really do not know enough of the hows/whys etc to be doing the job yourself

Silicon is all that is used, on the inside. Larger tanks get double/triple sealed. And if you do not get it exactly right, you are gonna need flippers as yasher stated *L*

Different sized tank require different thickness glass, get that wrong, again, flippers

I know the mechanics of it and have made small tanks, but large ones, yeah i leave that to the professionals, far too much at risk, and its not just the water i mean, a tank exploding while anyone is around is really not going to end well for the person involved

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I built my 55 and used ABC gum. It works just fine still.

SundayForever

by SundayForever

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Updates?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2