Finally, my new 55 gallon planted

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I got killer lights for christmas (T5 HOs, FOUR bulbs at 4WPG!) and pressurized CO2 to finally be able to get my 55 gallon set up as a high tech planted. I battled for several weeks with a very unfortunate algae problem as i struggled to find a balance between the lights, ferts, CO2 etc, and finally seem to have it under control. I'm not totally happy with the design or the plants selection, so suggestions are welcome. I do want to get some sort of carpeting plant for the foreground, but not sure if i want to do riccia or what.
5a7f4-Picture 001.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Someone look at my tank please!!!

Alasse

by Alasse

I'm a looking *L*

Honestly

Please fill it up *L* I know...i have a thing for water lines, i like my tanks full. Your losing quite a bit of your 55 gal space

Hard to tell with plants and suggestions. Being new it may just need to grow in. But if it were me with 4WPG (holy moly!) and CO2 i'd be finding some red plants to set off the tank, at present a bit green for high tech

Some nice branchy type driftwood would look awesome too

Gawd i hope i havent offended. I do like it nat :) Just high tech, i like to see red and the tank pop. But i do understand you are just starting out and setting up.

I'm more than sure over time the tank will progress into something spectacular!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

No, i totally agree about the red. Actually, one of the plants i ordered was a beautiful, deep red in the photo and when it arrived it was totally green. Then, i read that this type of plant is only red in low light situations. I do have some crypts in there that are a nice coppery color, but you can't really see in the photo. Any suggestions for a red plant?

As for the water line, i've always preferred mine lower. I think because i like seeing the surface of the water with the valisnaria streamers and the little bits of duck weed. I also have a few plants that grow right up out of the water, which i think is kind of nice. Plus there are some practical concerns: i have a couple of african dwarf frogs who do better in shallower water, i also have some siamese algae eaters which are prone to jumping, and my tank is uncovered, and last, a shallower tank means less water for the light to penetrate to get to the plants. But, my boyfriend absolutely hates it that i don't fill it all the way up, so i'll be sure to NOT show him your post, LOL.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

why do I see a lot of planted tanks with low water levels?
to promote surface growth of plants??

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, my reasons for keeping the water level low are in my above comment. If you have floating plants lowering the water level will show them off better, not necessarily promote their growth. I don't know why other folks decide to lower the water level, i only know why i do. Maybe others will comment.

Thanks Heidi!

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

looks good, I was just curious and hadn't read your post above yet...
keep up the good work!

Alasse

by Alasse

I see very few planted with low water levels, most are topped full. To each his or her own though *L*

I'd need to look into the red plants for you nat....will get back to you on that

dream2reef

by dream2reef

ludwigia

9 posts