Gourami Fish - Need help please?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Nicholas

by Nicholas

I have 2 Gourami's in my tank, occasional the one chases the other one and shortly after that they start biting each other or so it seems, there black spots disappear and the get black tiger/zebra stripes across there body?

Are they just having fun or are they fighting with each other? I've done research and they are compatible with each other.

If any body know how to stop this problem or if i should be worry please share your knowledge.

Thanks!

klo7408

by klo7408

I had read that they should be in groups of 5 or more. I have dwarf gouramis and blue gouramis, and they do just fine w/eachother and everyone else in the tank. I would suggest you keep them in small schools or alone.

tekneb

by tekneb

I don't know if this is the case for Gouramis but lots of schooling fish establish a pecking order, with the dominant one in the group keeping everyone else in line. With a large school, the abuse is dolled out to multiple fish, so they don't really get stressed out much. If you only have a couple fish, that weaker fish is the target of all the dominant fish's abuse, and could stress the poor little guy out. Whether Gouramis have a similar behavior or not, if neither fish has torn fins or missing scales you'll probably be OK.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I have a male and female pearl gourami and they play chase each other all the time. I've seen them do the biting thing you mentioned eather but they never hurt each other. The've done this for 1+ years and are still perfectly healthy, but haven't spawned yet :(

Nicholas

by Nicholas

Thanks for the help guys, think i will buy 3 more and keep a school of 5. :)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Guaramis can be territorial, especially towards their own kind. They are not a schooling fish. I don't know if adding more will solve the problem in this case. Males are more prone to aggression. Perhaps adding a few females would help. I had a male and female honey gourami. The male was aggressive towards the female, but my tank was big enough and planted enough that the female could escape him.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

yeah nat is right gouramis are not schooling fish and are alot like angels they will occationally pic on each other usually causing no damage.

amanda k

Re: Gourami Fish - Need help please?

by amanda k

Sorry to open up an old thread but my Gourami fish is fighting with my Angelfish and I was wondering what I could do to make sure NO FISH DIE. I'm not sure if the fighting is serious or if it is not serious...

PLEASE HELP

8 posts