bully discus

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Catheroine

bully discus

by Catheroine

I have two discus, however, the tangerine discus is always chasing the turquoise one. When I got her, I made a mistake of buying her with 'hole in the head' and she's since recovered from that... but she keeps her top fin down often (unlike the tangerine discus). When I first put them together they chased and swam quickly at each other for a few days, then they calmed down more. It's been about 6 months now and he's still chasing her, and he even dodges at her when they're eating. Does anyone know why? Or how I could fix this?

djjai_h

by djjai_h

Should keep the aggresive discus in another tank. Its a male or female ?

oscarrob08

by oscarrob08

thats why discus need to be keep in groups cause there is always a domiante one so if there is more then 2 the bullying would passed around and not focused on one fish plus what size tank put do u have they should atleast 20 gal per fish unless its a breeding pair then 20 gals is good but not what it sounds like this choose there mate u cant put a male and female together and hope they be come a pair i would either get more discus or seperate them

Catheroine

by Catheroine

the orange one is male and the turquoise is female (although i have no desire to breed them). They're in a 30g planted tank with a 6 rummy nosed tetras, and 2 small gouramis (dwarf and red honey). I was told that if I add more discus, it has to be 2 at a time and I'm already pushing it for room.... If I separate them, won't I need to purchase more discus anyways? they can not be alone

bully discus

4 posts