Nitrate

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

cazzam

Nitrate

by cazzam

My Nitrate level dropped from between 20 & 40 ppm to zero WTF is going on all test levels were perfect. Done small water change with conditioned water 2 days ago and it was fine till today.....Anyone know whats going on in there?????

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

nitrate at zero is not a big deal...of course if you have live plants, the plants do feed off of the nitrate or/and phosphate, but you shouldn't be too concerned, for zero is an okay level...in time it will go back up

cazzam

by cazzam

cheers still getting my head round all the levels and biological side of tanks and fish keeping thanks ill stop stressing

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

water testing & consistency...once you have these two things down pack, you will be fine

shane1

by shane1

I am new and wondering what nitrate lvels should be in me reef

doogle

by doogle

feshwater nitrate should be less than 20... less than 40 for sure.
saltwater should be lower, i do believe close to 0. saltwater tank inhabitants are more sensitive.. i dont have a reef tank,only keep brackish water for my mollie tank and spotted puffer tank. just keep it low.0-20

doogle

by doogle

if you cant get someone here to help, are other places to get answers, easier

Alasse

by Alasse

Th only tanks that should have zero nitrates are very heavily planted tanks (as the plants use it) If your tank is not heavily planted then i would be seriously questioning why i got a zero reading!

How old is the test kit? Is it a liquid or a strip type? Are you sure you did the test correctly, not shaking the containers for the correct length of time can affect results for example.

Alasse

Re: Nitrate

by Alasse

I require some nitrates in my tank as i have plants....so 0 is not better in my case. I would need to add it otherwise

Nitrate

9 posts