Final gettin a 52G Discus High tank.

9 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

djjai_h

by djjai_h

Im get new 52G tank for my discus.

tank size is.

36in L / 20in H / 15in W. Costing 19$. in india and the background and top cover costing 14$..only.

now guys pls tell me what should i plant in my tank ex. Sand / rock / wood .etc.

im getting 15 pairs for 90$ dollars only blue daimond size 1.5" to 2".

give me full details pls .

djjai_h

by djjai_h

Any1 here to help me.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

did you cycle yet?

djjai_h

by djjai_h

No not yet, waitin for experts advices, But yes i wil cycle it with 3 molies and 2 or 3 guppieys. And after how many days should i get the discus in tank ?
And should i put
1.Golden Sand in tank ?
2. Should i add rocks & plants in tank ?
3.how to get ph level test ?
4. How to control temperture between 29 to 31 degree F ?
5. Can i add catfishes also to clean algae in tank?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

don't cycle with mollies...you can cycle with guppies, but it is best to go with a very hardy fish like zebra danio or cherry barb

get only 2 or 3 of either a zebra danio or a cherry barb, once you do this, the cycling will begin

but before you buy the fish you must purchase a test kit (preferrably liquid test kit) of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate, without these 3 kits, you will never know how well the tank is cycling

once you get the water test kits, then you buy the 2 or 3 fish

once the fish are in the tank, then the cycling process will begin (the fish poop creates the ammonia which jumpstarts the cycling)

every couple of days, you test the tank water then you water change accordingly - so say the ammonia is very high, then you take out 50% of the water, if the ammonia is very low, then you take out only 20%, understand

the cycling process takes about 3-6 weeks, dependent on how well you feed, test and water change

let me/us know things as they go along - I am here for you as I know others are too

hope this helps

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as for sand, you can

should add rocks (only sandstone or slate and river rock)...you can add live plants (anubias is a slow growing low light plant which is best for beginners, it is very hardy)

yes, even though you must have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate tests (these are absolutely necessary), you should also get either a low or high ph liquid test kit too and a temperature stick on

you need a good heater, say a 400 watt heater, set at 75 F should do the trick (dependent on the room temperature, adjust accordingly)

for right now, do not add catfish...once your tank is cycled, and there is algae, then you can add catfish - catfish (otocinclus especially) are not hardy fish

after the tank is cycled, then you can add the discus...but let's get it cycled first, then we can talk fish, okay?

also do you have a good overhead lighting system (live plants will need certain bulbs, dependent on the type of plant you get) and you will need a filtration system

let us/me know how all this goes, okay?

djjai_h

by djjai_h

Im havin a
1.1 powerhead fliter 1500/Lhr.
2. Two spoonse fliters say its around 7".
3. One pencil type air stone and 1 normal air stone 1.5".
4. I have 12 pebbles stone round ones.
5. I have 3 types of plants dont know there names but.
Let me know what more to do.

djjai_h

by djjai_h

How to check the Ph / Dh & temp of the tank ? Is there any equiment to test it ?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you can get a liquid test kit to check for ph (either low or high), hardness of the water, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, iron, phosphate, oxygen, salinity (for saltwater tanks), copper, iodine and a temperature strip

but all you need are the following, without the following liquid test kits I can guarantee that your tank will be messed up in time, there is no way in knowing what is wrong with your tank without testing the water (unless you have an established tank of at least 2 years and you know how to "test" via observation, but this takes much experience so I do not advise this in your case)

ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph with a temperature strip...these are musts

hardness and oxygen are secondary...the others are neither here or there

API or Red Sea products are great for liquid test kits

hope this helps

(and by the way, I read your other post and 15 discus for a 52 gallon tank is way too many - as juveniles, ok; but as adults, you will experience serious problems with the tank, this is guaranteed)

could you post a picture(s) of your tank?

9 posts