Mystery Discus diease!!!

55 posts • Page 5 of 6

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

majormac

by majormac

You are crazy, everyone must agree with you

Holidays

by Holidays

Obiviously she had no idea about proper cycling, bacteria and water change why do you think she had issue with water cloudiness…LOL water cloudiness heh LOL experience fish keeper. Why would an experience fishkeeper with a few other tank running have issue cycling a new tank with old gravel? haha LOL ok there water cloudiness.

Alasse

by Alasse

You truely are a moron....actually read what i am posting, if that is at all possible!

I have no idea where you are getting this cloudiness i am supposed to be having? I am having NO problems cycling the new tank!!

The newest tank was fully clear within hours, and it was cloudy due the the substrate ya idiot. Sand and JBL do that, geez and you think you are experienced, you honestly have not a clue!! The tanks stats are currently

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

Sooo yeah, obviously ya just feel like having a go at me. Well get your facts correct (AGAIN) before bothering to open ya mouth.

*rolleyes* some people

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

this is from experience:

filter media contain good bacteria, absolutely correct

but the gravel also contains much more good bacteria...I'll give you an example:

2 months ago, I moved into this new house, stripped down entire tank (now if anyone knows the tank I have, I have absolutely no filtration system - even before the move, no filtration or filter media of any kind), removed the live plants (left the plants in a bucket of water), the fish and the rocks and wood - only thing I left, undisturbed, on the live plant side of the tank was the gravel.

After the move, and everything back into the tank, for the first month the tank was cloudy (bacterial bloom), but because I did not remove any of the gravel on the plant side (it is about 3 inches deep), in the last month, the water is crystal clear; why? because the good bacteria was in the gravel more so than in the filter media

now I am not saying the filter media does not hold the good bacteria...what I am saying that if the tank is an established tank (over 2 years old), and there is plenty old gravel in the tank that remains moist at all times, filter media is not needed to naturally cycle a tank

between water changes and chemical testing, the entire 55 gallon tank completed its full cycle in about a month's time without any filters and/or filter media

the ammonia in the tank, in the last month, never went over 0.50 ppm (and after an eight gallon water change, twice a week), the ammonia is 0; nitrite was always o and nitrate hangs around 30-40 ppm; oxygen is 7.5 - 8.0 ppm; there is no detection of iron, only a trace (the live plants are very green for they receive natural sunlight via a window) - I refrain from using any chemicals, in fact, I do not even use chemicals during a water change - the entire tank is chemical free; and temperature hangs around 78-84 F all the time to slow down any possible parasite, etc

so anyway, the gravel, in an established tank, can and will produce enough good bacteria without any filter media in order to have crystal clear water and have ammonia, nitrite and nitrate always in check

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as for water changing, it's not the amount that counts, it's the temperature

in other words, if you change 20% per week or 100% per week, the only thing it cuts back on or dilutes are the chemicals (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate - reason for water testing, depending on water test, you change out the water accordingly.....of course if you know your tank - like I know mine simply by observing the fish - one does not have to test for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate unless a problem exists, but I still must, on a regular basis, per week, change out 8 gallons of water twice per week (Thursday & Sunday), and beings I have tested the tap water, I know exactly what chemicals I am putting into the tank when I do water change)....but back to the discussion: water changing, no matter how much, does not affect the good bacteria, addition or depletion thereof

the key to water changing is extreme fluctuations...in other words, if the tank water is usually 78 F but you place 50% icy water in the tank, so the temperature goes down to 65 F, you will kill the fish or stress them out big time; or on the other hand, if you place water that is about 75-80 F into the tank, the fish are fine regardless if it is 20% or 100%

best thing to do with water changing is consistency: twice a week, perform a water change, 10-15% each day/20-30% per week and put in the same temperature water that you took out (or nearly so)

also the new water provides the much new atoms and nutrients that are naturally found in water (part of the reason some fish will spawn right after a water change)

hope this helps

snostorm

by snostorm

Yasher, do you age your water to rid of chlorine or you just know from testing how much goes in each water change?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I never age...I just know what the tap water reads, once this is done, all else is simple

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

also see page 3 & 4 of the Filterless Ecosystem thread for the latest pictures as of 2/21/2011 - shows how crystal clear the water is without filters, only natural sunlight and no chemicals added

Holidays

by Holidays

Okay watercloudiness, here is your own post "I would not have enough of the same gravel in other tanks now to make adding it very beneficial" you wonder why you have water cloudiness? LoL water cloudiness

Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:37 am GMT Reply

I have around 15 tanks, only 8 are running though at present. I've come to a halt in the rescaping until the 5ft is safe for fish. I'll get it tested again on the weekend and see how its going. If there is still a high ammonia prob, then i will ammonia lock it again and wait a bit longer

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 am GMT Reply

I would not have enough of the same gravel in other tanks now to make adding it very beneficial. Most of my tanks are running sand now.

Nah not going to pull it down, takes forever and it will have to go through a cycle now anyway. The high ammonia would have killed off a lot of stuff...It will settle, just needs a bit of time.

Cloudiness has nearly all cleared up. Wood and plants have been put into position. I'm taking a sample in tomorrow to get tested, will see what that brings

Ok...so 2 tanks in the tiers have been setup. The top tank (2.5ft) is holding the guppies. The middle tank is holding the apple snails. The bottom tank is not setup yet as i need to get another heater and corner filter for it

They are as cloudy as. I've put in shellgrit/sand substrate to try to harden the water up. With all the rain we have had its fully flushed the rainwater tank and as such is too soft for the snails (they are getting shell damage) I'll be looking into buying some calcium drops for them also.

It was actually clear in less than 24 hours, i never stated it was unclear for longer???? I just didnt have time to get a new pic until a few days later *LOL*

I used old substrate and a clean filter.....I have a spare internal filter running in my 5ft i could have added incase the 2.5ft tank stats were out, but there was plenty of beneficial bacteria in the used substrate to continue the cycle.

Alasse

by Alasse

You are truely an idiot *LOL*

Ok here we go.....in regards to cloudy water...actually take the time to read ALL of what is said not take snippets *LOL* The reason for the high ammonia was explained, and it killed off the bb in the established gravel i had added, the filter had to do the work on the 5ft, hence why i stated ""I would not have enough of the same gravel in other tanks now to make adding it very beneficial", meaning i would not have enough of the same gravel to kickstart the effected gravel to make it beneficial...I would need to add new gravel and that would not help in any way, so i left the tank alone to cycle, which it did in 4 weeks. This tank was NOT a normal tank setup, it had a major ammonia source added that i was unaware of at the time! In regards to the 5ft, it was not a normal cycle, nor in anyway a normal setup, if you had of read from the time it was started.

Water cloudiness on the 2 tiers, again READ WHAT I WRITE BELOW

These were NEW setups, the substrate was NEW sand, the filter was also NEW. As i stated sand is known to cause cloudiness, normal part of setup, they were both clear within a day and a half.

Regarding the 2.5ft..which you have quoted
"It was actually clear in less than 24 hours, i never stated it was unclear for longer???? I just didnt have time to get a new pic until a few days later *LOL*

I used old substrate and a clean filter.....I have a spare internal filter running in my 5ft i could have added incase the 2.5ft tank stats were out, but there was plenty of beneficial bacteria in the used substrate to continue the cycle"

I have no idea what you are on about.....you are picking bits and pieces of quotes from different tanks and mix matching them to suit your needs *LOL*

The only tank thats stayed cloudy for over 48hours has been the 5ft, and AGAIN it was not a normal setup (extremely high ammonia addition, Dino Dung & laterite in substrate didnt help)

NONE of my tank setup are cloudy now nor have they been since initial setup, all except the 5ft & the NEW tiers were clear within 24hours after the intial setup and have NOT been cloudy since, even with 100% waterchanges

Mystery Discus diease!!!

55 posts • Page 5 of 6