Cause of death?

35 posts • Page 2 of 4

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

frmnutn2sumtn

by frmnutn2sumtn

looks like the overnight "ph"enomenon may be the culprit. So just curious, how will surface agitation(i have a few more powerheads coming in the mail by the way) affect ph. Is it the co2 decreasing thats doing it? Ill check the ph after the phs are added and if a buffer is necessary ill start using that. I think even if i bring another 20lb of arag live in there, i think it will not bring ph any higher becuase we discussed before that there is a ceiling as to how far substrate and rock can bring the ph. I love these little brainstorm sessions, because it really helps break down issues. Thanks dudes!

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

excess of carbon dioxide from the lack of air.... perhaps there isn't enough surface agitation for good gas exchange.also what kind of buffer do you add?i think it has to do with the water movement.

frmnutn2sumtn

by frmnutn2sumtn

no buffers yet...u know, i did not connect the venturi aerator to the MJ 1200 in my tank and only have one airstone in the tank becuase i dont like all the bubbles. But i read unless the surface is broken it will not increase the gas exchange rate. Should i connect the aerator? to prevent the excess co2

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Actually that's what it is. More oxygen means bigger and faster gas exchange ( specially at the surface) So yes, More watermovement creates more ohygen, creates higer ph. With low O2 levels and slow gas exchange oyur ph will stay low. You can buffer it up, but it won't solve oyur O2 problems. And yes, you have to lower your heater, because you are about to adding new powerheads into your tank.. In my opinion if you have a daytime 8.0-8.1 PH level it pretty good for a FO tank, even for a FOWLR.If the Ph won't drop below 7.8 ( at night)you are good to go. The main reason the Ph drops at night is the photosynthesis( sunlight, in this case your light system). I wouldn't say that Ph was the reason you fises died.

Have you noticed any appetite problems, any spots or fungus problems?

Otherwise I have know idea what a f**ks caused the death..:-)

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

i have a idea low oxegen. did your fish stay on the top half of tank?

frmnutn2sumtn

by frmnutn2sumtn

i check that every day to see if they try to gasp for air at the top or pass through the bubble wall more than usual,..no signs of that...I did notice he was getting a little lazy thats all, but at feeding time they all darted to the food. So consensus is i need to put the VAerator back on the ph right? I was trying to avoid all the bubbles, but without the aerotor its just circulating the water for even distribution, i guess

frmnutn2sumtn

by frmnutn2sumtn

also, after you guys answer the question above lol sorry i didnt want to forget this but ....If lighting is not being timed correctly and didnt go on and off on a set schedule and some nights didnt go on (for whatever reason) can stress from lighting cause stress and eventually death, or is that highly unlikely.

saltwaterpimp

by saltwaterpimp

timers are also important..do more water changes and add more oxegen.do a small waterchange every week. even if your test kit says other wise..imo

dick_headers

by dick_headers

Light has nothing to do with fishloss, don't worry. They rest if they want to regardless of light on or off. I'd put powerhead instead of airpump. Belive me, powerheads are better than airpumps. I mean pumps just like undergravel filters are great, because the air( the bubbles) will ends up at the surface, and that is a great help in case of gas exchange. On the other side they doesn't ( or very little) circulate the water as effectice then pwerheades does.

2 powerheads "face to face" is much more useful than anykinds of airpump. Regarding either aeriation or/and circulation ( Oxygen and water movement, wave)

frmnutn2sumtn

by frmnutn2sumtn

lol we kindof avoided the ? there...im leaving that one airstone in, but do you guys go wax on or wax off with the aerator feature on the power heads?

Cause of death?

35 posts • Page 2 of 4