Changing/ cleaning filters for first time

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

auntkimmy

by auntkimmy

Hello all,

Almost 4 weeks ago, I upgraded from a 10 gallon tank to my new 29 gallon tank. I populated the new tank with beneficial bacteria from the old tank, and put my goldfish in after one week. He seems pretty happy in there!

I've been testing the pH and ammonia and nitrate/nitrite levels, and think I am going through cycling because my ammonia levels have jumped up. I've started doing regular water changes so I think I am on the right track.

Okay, so my questions involve the filters. In my old tank, what I would do was completely change the filter CARTRIDGE whenever it was completely gunked up and it was obviously preventing proper filtration from happening. Meaning, I would take out the white pouch from my HOB filter which was filled with carbon and replace it. This was maybe once a month. The filter PAD (the black sponge-y thing), which sat inside the filter box in front of the CARTRIDGE, which I know is saturated with beneficial bacteria, I wouldn't rinse this out or anything. I would just pick the biggest chunks of fish waste off of it manually and put it back. Is this the proper technique? And, do I have my terminology right? I've been reading about filter pads and cartridges and sometimes I can't tell which is which from the wording. I do know that the filter media I am using is the carbon. (And does the carbon need to be Recycled or Replaced when changing the cartridge???)

That system worked for me with my last tank, but I also never tested the water and had one fish die on me. I don't want to screw anything up with this tank.

boylestd

by boylestd

My tank setup has two filiters. So I usually stagger the changes. I will change one every few weeks and then change the other filter next time. That way im keeping my bacteria in there. I suppose if you are running a setup with only one filter you could put some stress zyme in your tank when you change your filiter. That way your filiter dosent strip your tank of the bacteria. I usuallly do a 10 percent water change bi-weekly and apply stress zyme and water conditoner at the same time. Ive never had a fish die due to this process yet, and my water always checks good. I hope this helps you out.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I don 't use carbon, but from what i've heard, it loses its effectiveness after about one week.

As for the filter pad, you are correct that it contains beneficial bacteria for your tank, and therefore should not be replaced or rinsed in tap water. You CAN rinse it in tank water, or tap water that has been treated (chlorine removed) and is about the same temperature as your tank.

Alasse

by Alasse

Carbon needs to be changed every 4 weeks as it will be *full*. If its ever used to remove medication from a tank, replace immediately after :D

auntkimmy

by auntkimmy

Thank you all for the tips. I didn't realize that carbon loses its effectiveness... I will be sure to replace it regularly along with the filter. :)

majormac

by majormac

What kind of filter is it Marineland? if your water is clear and you test everything is fine you can use sponge that will fit into the fiter instead of carbon cartridge, that way you don't need to worry about changing the carbon in the future. save money too :)

auntkimmy

by auntkimmy

majormac,

Anything that will save me time and money sounds like a good idea to me, but, have you actually done this successfully in the past? I'm worried that if there was no carbon involved, it wouldn't filter everything out that needs to be. Meaning, whatever chemicals in the water the carbon neutralizes.

That being said, I wonder what people used back in the day, before these convenient filter cartridges became available in the stores?

p.s. I have a TopFin filter... it came with the starter kit. It's kind of annoying because you can't lift the cover off of it without lifting the water intake tube up out of the water... it's just awkward.

auntkimmy

by auntkimmy

majormac,

Anything that will save me time and money sounds like a good idea to me, but, have you actually done this successfully in the past? I'm worried that if there was no carbon involved, it wouldn't filter everything out that needs to be. Meaning, whatever chemicals in the water the carbon neutralizes.

That being said, I wonder what people used back in the day, before these convenient filter cartridges became available in the stores?

p.s. I have a TopFin filter... it came with the starter kit. It's kind of annoying because you can't lift the cover off of it without lifting the water intake tube up out of the water... it's just awkward.

majormac

by majormac

Yes I do not use carbon anymore on all of my tanks. I use sponge filters on most of my discus breeding tanks. The rest I use HOB filters but I took out the carbon bags on my aquaclear filter and I replace the carbon cartridge on my aqueon and marineland filters with just a cut out sponge that will fit. Carbon really isn't necessary unless you want to remove medication and water cloudiness temporarily.

If you visit your local fish store, you will see most of their tanks do not use carbon, you will need to keep up with the water change and test your water to make sure all levels are 0. Once your tank is cycled and you don't suddenly overcrowd it with too many fish that will produce a lot of waste and increase your ammonia you'll be fine without the carbon.

Lets take an example if you have a marineland filter, the beneficial bacteria will form in the cartridge but when you throw away the cartridge you throw them away too, that's why you have to keep the bio wheel and do not have to change it otherwise you will lose to much of the bacteria and your tank becomes cloudy and re-cycle again so it is actually better to use sponge. If you decided to replace the cartridge with sponge, every now and then you just have to rinse the sponge in a separate bucket with your tank water not tap water because the chlorine will kill the bacteria. I've seen topfin filter but never own one but you can fit an aquarium sponge there. I'll take some pictures of my tanks soon.

majormac

by majormac

Do you use conditioner when changing your water? the conditioner is meant to remove any chemical such as chlorine from the tap water that is harmful to the fish.

overall carbon cartridge is used for convinience and easy fish keeping for starter tank so you wont have any issue with tank cloudiness which is caused by beneficial bacteria bloom. The bacteria that will break down the waste.

Carbon is also used to remove smell but once the tank is established, it wont be that smelly anymore. I recommend at least 2 months then you don't need it. But always test your water :) happy fish keeping.

12 posts • Page 1 of 2