Mystery Discus diease!!!

55 posts • Page 2 of 6

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

100% water changes are perfectly acceptable on an established tank. There is little to no beneficial bacteria in the water column itself. Providing decor is not left to completely dry out and filter is kept wet

Holidays

by Holidays

If filter and gravel is kept wet then that's not 100% water change, more like 90-95%. what's the reason to do it? did you test the water and was it really bad? amonia?

Holidays

by Holidays

I still don't see how you're going to do that kind of water change..You have the same size of tank? fill it with water, condition it (dechlorinate it), aerated it and get it to the same temp as the tank. Then what? move the discus to a temp tank and replace all the water in the targeted tank and put the water from the same size of tank then move the discus back? How did you do it? If straight from the tap, the untreated chlorine is going to kill most of the bacteria.

Alasse

by Alasse

If you pull all the water out of course its a 100% WC *LMAO* When i do it the filter is removed and sat in a container of fish & water, gravel vac is right to the tank base. Gravel is not permitted to dry out therefore bacteria survive, as soon as tank is filled, filter goes back in, fish go back in

You add from the tap adding declorinator as its filling. Many run warm water into the tank from their taps, perfectly safe providing the warm water doesnt go through copper piping, and even then its can be done safely, copper is mainly a problem for invertebrates.

Holidays

by Holidays

LOL I guess in your math book 95%=100% heh, even when you move your tank you don't do 100% only when you want to sell it as clean and dry. Not sure what you mean 100% then heh LOL

Holidays

by Holidays

So 100% of water change doesnt mean 100% of new water right? LOL

Alasse

by Alasse

if you take out 100% of water then yes you are putting 100% new, what would be the point of pulling water out and then putting it back in????? a 100% water change is exactly as it sounds, you remove all the water. Not hard *L*

A full pull down it complete removal of everything in the tank. And i ALWAYS fully remove everything in a tank before it is moved, i do not want a cracked tank. Hear too many horror stories, not to mention i physically just could not move my 5ft,4ft,3ft if they still had everything but water in it *LOL* Heavy enough completely empty. But even my smaller tanks i pull down before moving to a new position

Holidays

by Holidays

How can it be 100%? when you don't completely remove the water? 100% means no old water there. no old water in the filter no old water in the gravel no old water anywhere. If you put old water from the filter or gravel thats not 100% new water there is some percentage of old water.

Anyway what's the purpose? have you even test the water? ph, amonia, nitrate? what's the reason? did you contaminated the water? then why put old water from filter or gravel back?? then you should dry, bleach, dechlorine everything that touches the water and start over. LOL

Holidays

by Holidays

"if you take out 100% of water then yes you are putting 100% new, what would be the point of pulling water out and then putting it back in?????"

Then why are you puting old water from the filter back into the tank????? why are you leaving old water in the gravel??????

Alasse

by Alasse

You are being completely obtuse honestly! I cant work out if you are just being argumentative or have no idea *LOL*

MANY do 100% water changes, specially on fry tanks, it encourages quick growth as the water never gets a chance to be nasty. MANY discus owners do 100% waterchanges as discus can be very sensitive, this stops anything becoming a problem before it is detected by testing. No good testing it if ya fish have already suffered is it!!

An internal filter once pulled out of the container will drain all the OLD water back into the container!! You then put said filter back into the tank with the NEW water!
If you use a canister the old water that would be in it, would be completely negligable once its restarted.

If you had actually read what i wrote, i removed ALL water from the gravel, it is damp, not sitting in water!! Damp gravel and damp filter hardly make for keeping old water.

*shakes head*

You have no idea obviously *LOL* Fully drying the DAMP gravel would kill all the bacteria, you would be doing a full cycle again, NOT a good thing for sensitive fish owners
Last edited by Alasse on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mystery Discus diease!!!

55 posts • Page 2 of 6