Substrate Change

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Squeaker2009

Substrate Change

by Squeaker2009

I want to add to my substrate to make it more Plant Friendly, I have gravel and some gravel with plant additive, it might be enough but I intend on planting more grasses and stuff soon. I have fish living in the tank right now so it may be a problem but i can house them in pots for a few hours while the water settles during the change (I just have to remember not to put them on the stove). Any suggestions?

Alasse

by Alasse

Just get root tabs and stick into the gravel near heavily planted areas, you shouldnt need to remove fish to do that :D

snostorm

by snostorm

What is a root tab?

Alasse

by Alasse

Ya buy them at your lfs....they are a plants fertalizer tablet that you put into your substrate near plants

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

My suggestion is kitty litter. I know that that's not what most people think of when they think of growing aquarium plants, but it works really well. Here's a composition analysis and cation exchange analysis: http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Fertilize ... jamie.html
And here's a picture of my tank, which has kitty litter substrate.
be0f0-resize for ratemyfishtank.JPG

Alasse

by Alasse

Just be carefull what kitty litter you use, some are not suitable.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

*nods* The kitty litter should not have anti-clumping chemicals in it. I used Special Kitty brand litter from Walmart. I documented my tank transformation in post #165 of http://forum.nanfa.org/index.php/topic/ ... e__st__160

Substrate Change

7 posts