Poop in my sand

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

Poop in my sand

by mzhantsche

Ok have a tank with a Bichir in it. It poops like crazy. I have black sand as a substrate. The poop is big and is all over the tank. I vacume it once a week. Im always a step behind this mas amount of poop.

Tank peramiters are perfect. I just dont like how it looks.

Any ideas on how to cover it up....something that will suck it up better than a regular sifiner.....a small creature that will eat it?

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

As far as i know nothing will eat poop, except plants in a planted aquarium and in that case it takes the nutrients through the substrate.

Just consider yourself lucky for having black sand because i have white sand ^_^

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

SO fishmoo....how do you keep your sand clean. any tips will help at this point.

Alasse

by Alasse

You may need more water movement to move the poop towards your filter intake. Other than that hands on removal is the only way :)

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

I am new (3 months in) to sand, The only advice i can give is that in my tank all of the poop tends to move towards your filter intake (like Alasse said). The only way is to use your Sifon to remove the waste.

I also find that using a Sifon is the fastest way for me to do a water change, so twice a week I sifon the sand during water changes. For the most part this works and keeps my sand poop free. Twice a week at ~5-10 mins each is not too time consuming.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

possibly cutting back on the feeding may help

Poop in my sand

6 posts