setting up new tank

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kevinh

setting up new tank

by kevinh

So, I have decided to set up a cichlid tank. I’ve started with stuff I had left over from my 20g tank. First thing is that I’m going to take out the anchor, house and the wrecked ship, and replace it with caves, rocks, driftwood and with more plants and change out the air stones to silicon tubing. But my question is, Can I leave the black and blue gravel rocks or should I change it? If so, what do ya’ll recommend?
1aeeb-IMAG0370_crop_crop_crop_crop.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

why not just go all black, it will bring out the fish's colors

Alasse

by Alasse

If you like the black and blue then yep you can certainly leave them

I will tell you though. When you get around to putting rocks in there to make caves, make sure the base rocks are sitting on the actual base of the tank, not stacked on top of the gravel. Cichlids WILL dig and if they are not on the glass base, chances are the rocks WILL fall and break the tank

kevinh

by kevinh

thanks for the info on the rock

kevinh

by kevinh

I like the black and blue gravel, i think i will leave it for now. so, my plans are to get around 10 or so dep. on max size.

cichlidpaul10

by cichlidpaul10

you must put the new rock on the glass and if you build up from them i would recommend using silicon to stick them to gether make sure its (aqua seal) thats what i have done , as for gravel its pretty much up too you but some will bring out the colours of the fish more

setting up new tank

6 posts