right choise with mother fish?

3 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

ok i noticed 1 of my cichlids was carrying fry in her mouth. last time only 2 survived. so my questin is,, i noticed all the other fish were chasing her around, including what im 90 % sure is the father so i took n set up a 10g tank 4 her n put her in there,she seems alot less stressed but should the father b in it too,will she b ok by herself , n will a 10g b big enuff 4 her , also being alone she still wont spit them out n eat.last time she had babies i thought she was just sick 4 a while,got better then i later noticed 2 lil babies n this is how i noticed this time is shes same looking as last but sunday night i actually noticed the fry IN her mouth,any answers will b appreciated n just so u know i took the water 4 the 10g outta the 55g so i know water n levels r fine

Alasse

by Alasse

What type of cichlid is it?

My mainganos are mouthbrooders, and keeping her alone would be best, the male will chances are eat the fry as the emerge from her mouth.

She will not spit them out until she is ready to do so. Mine eat until there is no more room to do so, as in the fry have filled their mouth, they get thin, but as soon as they spit them they make up by eating like madwomen lol

LUVMUFF9326

by LUVMUFF9326

shes african i was mostly concerned about her stressing going from a 55g to a 10g but shes not being chased around so all in all i believe it was right choice to make but how big should i let the fry get b4 putting them in 55g?when i noticed the first batch they were in the 55 n about a 1/4 inch if not smaller.n there both bout 1&1/2 now n thank you 4 a quick response

3 posts