Poorly goldfish

17 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Poorly goldfish

by natalie265

I am having the worst luck with fish right now. Now, one of the goldfish in my tank at work has suddenly become ill. His color looks great, he is bright, no spots, no sores, no fuzzy stuff. But suddenly, he is just kind of floating there at the top of the tank. He'll swim away if he is disturbed, but is otherwise barely moving.

The stats on the tank are fine, no ammonia, nitrates or nitrites. Ph is at 8.0. Temp is 72, a bit on the high side for goldies, i know, but that is the temp of the room which i have no control over. The heater is set on low so that when they turn the heat down on weekends the temp stays stable.

I don't know what is going on.

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

hmm
idk that sounded just like my plecos they would float to the top and i thought they were dead so i got the scooper and then he swam away but a few days later they both died ill do some resarch and see what i can find

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

ok well i did some resarch on ask.com and this lady had almost the same thing but her fish tryed swiming and it would float back up u should try giving it peas (NOT THE SKIN JUST TH INSIDE STUFF) and even thow gold fish are fresh water fish they need aqaurium salt tell me if it help if u need any more help just ask me:)

tekneb

by tekneb

Warmer water has less oxygen in it, maybe he's just hanging out at the top cuz the water is more oxygenated there?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I feed them peas about once a week.

No, this is definitely something more serious. He isn't just hanging out at the top, he is floating on his side at the top.

This fish has a name! He can't die!

tekneb

by tekneb

This is extremely frustrating.

Okay so the reasons a fish acts listless can be boiled down to 3 things, illness, injury, and old age. I'll assume there's no sign of injury, which leaves illness and old age. So I guess the three questions you have to ask are; how old is the fish, is he still eating (one of the first signs of illness) and are other fish in the tank acting weird? That's really all I can think of :(

Alasse

by Alasse

Is the tank planted? Unless its heavily (and i mean a jungle) it should have some trace of nitrates.

Something is off with the water is my guess

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

go on ask.com and just type it in (goldfish laying at the top of water or something like that)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Alasse, that is why i don't trust the API liquid kit. It always says nitrate ZERO. When i use the test strips, it picks up trace amounts.

Thanks for the links, yasher. I'm going to hope it is a food impaction that will clear up if i fast them all weekend.

Poorly goldfish

17 posts • Page 1 of 2