Just to say Hi!

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Mckenziee

Just to say Hi!

by Mckenziee

I have just restarted up my 75g tank and will probably be back with questions soon. Wanted to say Hi to all you guys and gals. My tank was a lovely saltwater tank with beautiful live rock and gorgeous fish over 3 years ago. Long story but my husband was burned badly in a fire at work and was unable to do much at all for the first year and therefore I didn't have time to keep up with everything he use to do plus the tank. Some things took a back burner to others and so we lost most of our fish and decided to start over with goldfish, to make it a bit easier to keep up with now. I think we will love it just the same. :)

Just began the cycle process a week ago so its going to be a while till we can put in what we really want but I can't wait! I remember this feeling with the other tanks and it is like a drug at times.

Any suggestions about the goldfish would be greatly appreciated. Its been a long time since I have kept goldfish so I don't remember that much about what they like and what not. I have done a little reading but not into detail so any tips would be great!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

tekneb

by tekneb

I think you will find goldfish are much less demanding then your reef tank lol. So long as they have enough space (75 gallons is plenty) cold water, a good filter and pretty much any kind of food you'll be set. Keep us all updated! :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

just make sure you have at least 10 times the tank size in filtration, so for a 75 gallon tank, make sure you have at least 750 gph (gallon per hour) of filtration...and because goldfish do poop much more than other fish, 1,000 gph would do very well in the 75 gallon tank

also get liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph, and a temperature strip stick-on

let us know how it goes

Mckenziee

by Mckenziee

Thanks for the comments!

I do have the ammonia and ph test kits but the salesman at the store didn't put the other two in there, I asked for test kits that I would need. Go figure right, lol. I need to pick those up next trip. I've been keeping an eye on it and the ammonia hasn't even gone up yet so I have a little time before the nitrite will go up I'm thinking.

As for filtration, I have the filter that was bought to go with the tank and purchased new filters and wheels for it. Not sure how much it pushes but I will check that out, hate to have to buy a new filter system at this point since all the rocks, kits and such was over $100 and I haven't even bought decor yet or the keeper fish. Need a new pump for the air tube for sure, its barely pushing out any air bubbles, tips on a size would be great! I bought this long flexible tube that is maybe half the length of the tank, is that big enough once I get it pumping right? I heard that the flake food was not as good for them and you would know that is what the store sold me, I didn't even look till I got home, just told them to add in some food for the goldfish. What type of food would you guys suggest? How often do you do water changes on your goldfish tanks? I know they can be nasty fish. hehe Saltwater had to be changed at least once a month and probably needed it more than that. There is a temperature thing in there, its like a bobbing kind I guess you call it lol. Its reading around 70 f now. Thats what I have the temp set for in my house but that will change in the spring/summer to around 76, will this be ok? I don't want to run the AC much more than that or my light bill will be through the roof. What do you guys do about that in the summer? Sorry this was way longer than I expected it to be. Thanks if you read this far. :)

Mckenziee

by Mckenziee

One more question. So sorry.
I did 20 gallon water changes on the tank when it was saltwater, should I do the same with the goldfish?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I just got into goldfish recently and i love them! They are so cute and colorful!

As for the water changes, on my goldfish tank i do a 25-50% water change every other week. The test kits will help you determine how much and how often you need to change your water.

tekneb

by tekneb

76 is pretty freaking hot. Tropical fish tanks typically get kept at 76-82 degrees and goldfish definitely aren't tropical lol. If A/C isn't an option you can keep the top of the tank open and have a fan set up to blow over the top of the water. I've never had the need to try it myself but I've heard stories from many people saying that this method works just fine.

tekneb

by tekneb

Oh, and if you do in fact need more filtration, then it might pay to take the money you've set aside for a new air pump and just buy an HOB filter with it. The filter will do its job as well as do the job the air pump does (create surface agitation, which in turn oxygenates the water).

Just to say Hi!

8 posts