A new tank with old fish

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Radar

A new tank with old fish

by Radar

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking on this site for a few weeks and decided to join.
I am not sure if this topic was covered before, so here goes.

I have a 10 gallon for the last few years and just got a 18 gallon bow front tank. I bought it because it fits the spot where I have it very well. I have 3 koi in the 10g tank that I want to put in the 18g. I will put some water in the 18g to start cycling, and I will put the 10 gallons of water in the 18 gallon, when the time is right.
Not sure right now if I will use the same gravel, or buy something new. My questions are,

I have to buy a filter for the 18g, and I think I will get a Penguin 150 ....good choice or go 1 size larger?? I know Koi's are messy fish.
How long should the 18g cycle before I add the fish? Considering I will have more than half of the tank filled with the existing water?
I will add the filter from the 10 gallon to help for a 1 or 2 day afterwards.

I will post a pic soon.

Thanks,

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

a filtration system should always be at a minimum, 10 times the tank size...so on a 18 gallon, it should be at least 180 gph (gallons per hour); so on the Penguin 150, it is too low...try either the Penguin 200 or better yet 350...but the 200 will work pretty good

you need to cycle the tank with 3-4 fish, hardy fish that will withstand the chemical imbalances, so either purchase cherry barbs or zebra danios...after the tank is cycled, you can bring the temperature down for koi like colder waters (though their temperatures can range from 40 to 90 F, it is best around 65 for optimum health)

you will need liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph plus a temperature strip (attach it to the side of the tank)...cycling will take about 3-6 weeks dependent on the way you feed and water change

most good bacteria is either made in the filter media or all over the items in the tank especially in the gravel...very little good bacteria is in the actual water - so by just adding water to a new tank does not mean this will help with the cycling

let us know how it goes...if you have any questions do not hesitate to ask
Last edited by yasherkoach on Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing, it would help if you could identify the exact type of koi you have....but I must warn you that most koi (if not all) get to be around 3 feet long, and in this case, an 18 gallon tank is an absolute failure (koi usually swim in a pond, outside the home)...so you may really want to rethink this project, because koi as babies or juveniles may be okay in a 18 gallon tank but soon they will reach 3 feet and I am sure if you measure the 18 gallon tank, it is not 3 feet in length...optimally, if you do decide to raise koi inside your home, in a tank, the tank must be at a minimum of 150 gallons long for just 2 of these fish (((understand?)

just needed to point this out to you in a separate post

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Agree. Using water from your existing tank will do little to start the cycling of your new tank. What WILL help is using old filter media from the filter in your ten gallon.

I think that koi might be hardy enough to cycle the tank, but they are definitely pond fish, so you'll want to start planning for their futures. They grow quickly.

Mckenziee

by Mckenziee

Correct me if I'm wrong but even the guy that owns my local fish store told me that the fish will not outgrow their living conditions. He said that the koi/goldfish will only grow as big as the tank allows. I have had goldfish in the past and they did not outgrow the little 10 gallon tank they were in. Had 2 of them in there for many many many years. I have not had koi but he was stating that I could put koi in my 75 gallon tank with no problem of them outgrowing it. I know you don't always trust pet store employees but this guy is the owner and has been running this store for like over 20 years. He does have experience in the field. :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

this guy who told you this should live in a refrigerator for a year....see how he likes it

a koi will grow to 3 feet even if you put that fish in a 1 gallon tank

either trade the fish back for other fish or get a 150 gallon tank as a minimum size...your decision

Mckenziee

by Mckenziee

This really has me curious as to whether this is correct or not. Going to do some research on it. He did say that the fish are very different than humans as if you put us in a box we will outgrow it but that the fish would not. Of course we want them to have plenty of room for swimming and such. I have heard this same thing before at other stores so this was not the only guy that has told me this. Always seemed strange but now I really want to know which to believe. Will post if I find concrete facts either way.

Mckenziee

by Mckenziee

Ok, so its yes and no on them outgrowing the tank. The real answer is that their growth is stunted but they will still eventually grow larger it just takes them alot longer. BUT, big but here, its unhealthy for them and stresses them this way. Need to inform that store owner on this. Most pet store owner/employees don't care about the long term health of these animals or fish I guess. He did say that if they got too large for my liking I could bring them back and exchange them for smaller fish, no problem.

Hopefully Radar has a store nearby that would do a trade for him as well.

I was originally going to add 2 koi and some fancy goldfish in my 75 gallon tank and now I think I will just stick with the fancies. They only get to 6" from what I read so that will be better for my fishies. I want them to be happy and healthy all around. :)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Mckenziee, i think the info you found is correct and i think you are smart to stick with fancy goldfish. It is amazing how uninformed people are regarding fish--even people who you think should know better. If you can find a LFS that is passionate and informed it is worth its weight in gold.

Radar

by Radar

Thanks everyone for your input,
I transfered the gravel & water from the 10g tank into the 18g and also had the 10g filter running alongside the new filter.
I have had these fish for almost 3 years and everything seems fine. The chemical levels all test good. I change about 5-10% water every week.
I do have a pet store that will take them on trade. Also another place I have check on too. A nursery of sorts.
I have seen 2 huge koi in a 10g tank before. The guy told me he had the fish for almost 8 years. I give him crap for doing that to the poor fish.

A new tank with old fish

11 posts • Page 1 of 2