I cant keep Damsels alive!!

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

SaltwaterNubie

by SaltwaterNubie

Ok so after having a tank for a few months I have encountered a problem....I had a fully populated 55 gallon tank with a blue tang, yellow tang, 4 damsels, a starfish and a clown fish...i had a major ick attack and the only survivers were my yellow tang and the starfish...so I now have a quarintene tank and i have been trying to reestablish my tank and i have been buying yellow tail damsels. I have been putting them in the quarintene tank before i put them in my big tank...i just bought a clown, 2 three striped damsels, and a domino...the damsels all died off a few days after being in the quarintene tank and the clown is healthy as a horse!!

MY PH level is at 8.0
and all nitrates and ammonia are at 0
I keep my salt level at 1.021 at all times and i do weekly 10% water changes

I dont know what to do! any help??

tekneb

by tekneb

I'll confess I'm not a saltwater hobbiest, but I've heard that damsels can be pretty territorial, especially around other damsels. Could they be fighting?

SaltwaterNubie

by SaltwaterNubie

I have read that they can be territorial also, they do not appear to be fighting, and they are not missing any fins or have any bite marks...I was thinking about trying a different fish store to see if the damsels live.

Thank you for the reply!

jerimeb

by jerimeb

bluetangs r notorious 4 ick. fresh water dip them . match the ph give it a couple min. dont put store water in ur tank. for ick,drop sal. to 0.010 for a month then slowly bring up. tried everything thats all that works. good luck. o damsles r a bastered fish try green cromis... GO DUCKS!!!!!

itsanono

by itsanono

Dropping your salinity will kill your starfish. I would recommend dropping your salinity after you return your starfish. You are not equipped for all the life you have brought to your tank. Overstocked, undereducated... good luck tho.

I'll walk you thru step by step if you ring me at http://007chan.org/m/

pro68camaro

by pro68camaro

itsanono is right. starfish are extremly touching to salinity changes. and your tank is way over stocked. tangs can get over 12 inchs and the rule of thumb for saltwater is a 2 gallons per inch of the fishes lenght full grown . some people even say 3 to 5 inchs per gallon. id suggest at least a 100 gallon for tangs. even though alot of people keep them in smaller ones.

richie1m13441

by richie1m13441

a $4.oo fish will terminate a $600.00 fish !

richie1m13441

by richie1m13441

damsels will damage a $600 fish

8 posts