Small powerhead on a 30 gal tall?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

beachhoppr

by beachhoppr

So I had a massive algae outbreak recently that required fish removal, breakdown and cleaning. So I used the opportunity to change out the substrate (the original was really not the right one). Anyhow all fish survived and are doing well (woo hoo!). So now I am thinking: if I put a small powerhead in, I can keep the water circulation up such that the algae spores dont have a chance to settle again. Has anyone done this in a freshwater tank? Obviously its needed in a salt tank.

Alasse

by Alasse

Algae will come back regardless. You need to find the cause of the algae :)

beachhoppr

by beachhoppr

now I feel depressed :)

Alasse

by Alasse

*L*
How long do you leave the light on for? How strong are the lights over what sized tank?

What fish load? Cleaning crew? Yor cleaning regime? Near natural light sources?

Any info you can think of might help. Though a small amount of algae is ok an natural, when it takes over like you stated something isnt right

beachhoppr

by beachhoppr

lights are on most of the day. a t5 and a 6700k over a 30 gal. 7 fish at the moment...1 raphael cat. not near any windows but i discovered the tank was hovering at 82deg. i corrected that today. normal cleaning reg....10% weekly water changes

Alasse

by Alasse

Is the tank planted that you need the lights on that long? I'd be shortening the light period and slitting it in 2 so that the lights are only running whle you are there to appreciate it :)

beachhoppr

by beachhoppr

i will try that and let you know. thx!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

you need to identify the type of algae, then we can give you the preventive care

8 posts