Tiny Air Bubbles

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Rodrick

Tiny Air Bubbles

by Rodrick

When I started up my water had a whole lot of tiny air bubbles BUT after a day or 2 they went away and the water was 100% clear. Now 5 weeks later they have come back and I was wondering if it has anything to do with the water. I have a spray bar from my cannister which sits just above the water line. I know this has something to do with it BUT is there anything else I need to test for in the water such as chlorine ect ect. (I did a 30% water change 2 weeks ago, but conditioned it) It just looks really crappy with all the bubbles and because they were not there and now have come back I thought something might be up with the water.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

Well having your spraybar above the waterline will most likely have almost everything to do with it. Unless you're noticing most of your bubble concentration after cleaning your canister. Mine always takes 6-12 hours to push all the micro bubbles trapped in sponges and whatnot out of the canister after cleaning. At any rate under most circumstances bubbles are good...

If your canister intake line has a priming valve cap at the top of it check to make sure that's tight also. If its not air can get sucked in that way.

That's a nice looking tank you've got. The actinics make the faux plants and rocks look nifty.

And I know what you mean about your wife. lol Its funny how jealous a girl can get over fish...I wonder what'll happen when I finally get a cat.

kempie

by kempie

Bubbles are caused by high levels of locked dissolved-gas in water, which over time unlock because of chemical reactions with other elements in the tank.

Typically fresh tap water will cause them to appear due to chemical additives oxidising with the natural impurities in the tank water. This is characterised by the bubbles adhering to anything below water level in the tank - eg fish, plants, decor, glass, background, your hand, anything.

FYI I have two 12" spray bars above water in my 6' tank which generate loads of microbubbles all of which rise to the surface (and get sucked out by a floating filter inlet - like a poor mans protein skimmer), but none adhere to the decor/fish/plants because there is no oxidisation occuring.

Your prob has to be caused by some dissolved wierdness in the water. As a guess, have you tested for chloramine (this is not chlorine)...? This can hang about in the water for weeks and if mixed with certain tank impurities cause bubbles as you describe over extended time...?
If nitrates are rising during this time, then the bubbles could occur at a later point when they rise to a level which causes the gas bonds to react.
Just a stab in the dark really, but worth checking out.

To prove, use RO water mixed 50/50 with stood tap water (if you can do it, heavily oxygenate the tap water for a week, that should solve any suspended gases).

PS i got six cats and wife still happy ;)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

spray bar at the water line...go see Mister Surfactant

first, get rid of the spray bar, it's a waste of money and does not serve your fish...looks nice to us humans, but the fish...ugh

either get a good powerhead or a few pumps or one good pump with airstones

if only our fish could talk english...they'd see to a few of us: GET OUT OF MY LIFE!!!!!

fedric

by fedric

Usually freshwater fish are considered the pets for people that are either lazy or don't really want to take care of something They may like the idea of a pet but perhaps one that you don't have to interact with as often as others, underestimating the responsibility of freshwater fish care.

-----------------
http://www.simplyfishtanks.co.uk/

Alasse

by Alasse

I use a spray bar on my goldie tank, i have it slightly above the water surface. I definately do not have it their for my benefit, its noisy *L* Its there to give me good surface agitation in this tank. I am not a fan of in tank air bubblers, but hey thats me.

I also have a spray bar in my 2.5ft, why because the bar right acroos the back of the tank, and keep all areas of tank well circulated. Instead of one large jet, i get the benefit of 12 smaller jets. Plants dont get the lean to one side look and i i stated i get far better circulation.

With both spray bars i do not get micro bubbles or any major bubbles in the tank, all it does is agitate the surface

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

agitation is good for it helps to provide plentiful oxygen

Alasse

by Alasse

My planted tank do not require agitation, and is defiantely not something desired.

The 2.5ft had the spray bar under the surface to limit the surface agitation but to give maximum water movement.

Spraybars definately serve a purpose

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

believe it or not Alasse, but a little agitation on the plant leaves help to continuously clean off their petals of light debris, often naked to the eye.....just a tip

but hey, we disagree about 7 out of 10 times, so I am sure you will disagree this time

like I said, to each their own

Alasse

by Alasse

I have water movement to do that yasher. Planted tanks do not need vigourous agitation, in fact it is undesirable.

Tiny Air Bubbles

13 posts • Page 1 of 2