Driftwood

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cwilkin

Driftwood

by cwilkin

I want to put a really large piece of driftwood into my 125 with large holes so my discus can swim thru it. I have been looking for a while and cant find what I want. Got any ideas on where to look?

Alasse

by Alasse

Where there's trees :)

cwilkin

by cwilkin

I have already looked at that site no luck lol.
Can you use regular trees?

Alasse

by Alasse

As long as

...the tree is a hardwood
...the wood is completely dried out
...make sure there is no bark left on before it goes into the tank
...Make sure there has been no spraying near the wood (crop sprays etc)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

...and the wood is boiled for over an hour or two

(((smiles)))

plebe_iz_da_name

by plebe_iz_da_name

ebay my friend !!!

8)

Alasse

by Alasse

Doesnt have to be boiled yasher :) Often ppl will have a piece far too large to be boiled. I have a 4ft piece i scrubbed, poured a kettle of boiling water over, then started soaking in the tank..

I have other pieces i have just scrubbed and thrown in, they just float around until they get waterlogged :)

cwilkin

by cwilkin

I guess I will have to keep my eyes open. there is one at the fish store that is large but its not the shape that I want tho. I guess I could buy it and take a saw to it lol

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

the main reason one should boil all rocks and wood (only the wood that is not treated like the ones found out in one's back yard or wherever) is to make sure all parasites or germs are out of the wood (or the rock) before it enters the tank

as for as the wood sinking, that is a whole other matter, in time, if a piece of wood is untreated (that is, not bought from a store), the wood will sink as it becomes water-logged, I agree there Alasse

I should have clarified the reason for my stating the wood should be boiled...and that is, to make sure the wood is safe for aquarium use

it is true, some pieces of wood is very large for a kettle, so by pouring boiling water several times over the wood, this too will make sure the wood is safe

Alasse

by Alasse

Most of the wood i use is land based, so any germ, parasites will die anyway once submerged, as they arent designed to survive underwater

If i get wood from a water source, i let it fully dry out, therefore killing any waterbourne nasty that maybe on it.

So boiling may be good, it is not fully necessary. Most use it to waterlog wood quicker (due to making wood fibre open up quicker and absorb more water) and to make tannins (due to open fibre tannins are released quicker) release quicker, not really for sterilization as such

Driftwood

13 posts • Page 1 of 2