Jack Dempsey

8 posts

Member introductions and random (non-aquarist) topics.

FishMane25

Jack Dempsey

by FishMane25

so i am thinking about buying a jack dempsey from a friend but im not sure. look at my stock and let me know what u think. he has it in a tank with 5 parrots, a sweetheart parrot, arrowana, 2 leopard leaf fish, a green severum and a cpl others. so let me know your opinions, thanks!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I thought there was a thread on this already? I remember answering it? I'm confused?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

The Jack Dempsey requires an aquarium of at least 50-gallons, with a fine sand bottom. There should be rocks and roots for them to hide among. The plants should be hardy as the Jack Dempsey will burrow around and attack them. The aquarium should be divided into territories using hardy plants, if possible. They are territorial and will eat smaller fish that they can swallow.

just let you know, a Dempsey is an aggressive fish...the others you have are semi-aggressive

the arrowana will grow to about 3 feet long

you may want to rethink this

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I currently have 2 JD's one that's 8-9 inches along with several other cichlids of all the lakes. I mixed them to prove a point to many. I've not had too many bad wars. Just normal peking order type thing. Just have many hiding places and your good. I just love the cichlid!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well as long as there are territorial hiding places....but on the arrowana, you aren't too concerned about it reaching about 3 feet in your tank?

FishMane25

by FishMane25

i decided not to go with it a while ago, i figured that if im 2nd guessing it then i PROLLY shouldnt put it in my tank lol. and im not going with an arrowana, i was just saying what my buddy had in his tank. he raised the arrowana from about an 1 1/2" and its like 13" now and he said it has never at a fish and that he only feeds them flakes and pellets and NO live lol.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well I hope your friend realizes the arrowana will get to about 3 feet long...it really needs a good 180 gallon tank to be quite pleased

FishMane25

by FishMane25

Yea he raised it in a 220 but just recently moved it out of that tank to his 125 because he changed up his 220 and is selling everything out of the 125 from the 220 now so ya it had some room but there is no in home aquarium suitable for a fish that will get that huge lol

Jack Dempsey

8 posts