Agressive Fish.....

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

falconite

Agressive Fish.....

by falconite

I hav had this goldfish tank for around a year now....some of my fishes hav begun 2 act strange lately....3 particular fish-a redcap,a shubunkin and an orange goldfish(kid)- attack one of my other orange goldfishes(say 'smarty')....it strted about a mnth n a hlf ago, when they wud chase smarty all arnd the tank ....of late i find the 3 trying to push smarty onto the ground....the incidents hav begun to occur more frequently over the last couple of weeks.....smarty seems quite helpless against the attacks....its always the same 3 fish attacking smarty...moreover,(i find this quite amusing actually), those 3 fish seem to hang around together!!!

Any suggestion??? (apart from removing smarty or any other fish from the tank)

Smarty n redcap hav been in the tank all along....shubunkin n the kid came around 5 or 6 mnths ago....

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

What size tank and how many fish do you have? I'm wondering if overcrowding could be leading to the bullying behavior that you're seeing. Has smarty sustained any injuries?

Alasse

by Alasse

I'd bet sheep stations the 3 that are hounding the 1 are males and the 1 is a female, that is typical spawning behaviour.

falconite

by falconite

@natalie...

yup the tank is a bit crowded....but why this sudden aggresive behavior???n is smarty really in danger, or will this continue for sum days n thn everythn will b alryght???

@Alasse...

its a bit embarassing 2 admit it, but m not sure about their genders....even the aquarium guy sounded vague whn i asked him....he just said the females r a bit more "rounder" thn the males!!!...how do u determine a goldfish's gender???

falconite

by falconite

@Alasse...

all of thm r quite young...i dnt xpct thm 2 spawn so young.... :P

Alasse

by Alasse

How big are they?
Males get tubercles (white pimple looking dots) on their gill plates and often on the pectoral fins, though not always easily visible.

The males nudge and push at the females to induce spawning, she will not spawn without this, being young the males may be practising and the female may not be ready.

My fantails aren't very big and they a definately displaying the same type of breeding behaviour.

falconite

by falconite

@Alasse...

Just checked thm, n its almost impossible to determine with certainty wht their gender is....smarty n pinky(the shubunkin) r almost 7.5 cms long...redcap is around 7 cm....n the kid is around 4 cms.... i hope this is sufficient coz i hav no idea how old r they....these lengths do not include the tail...or do i take the length of the tail into account as well???

a bit of nudging n pushing is fyn, but sumtyms it seems lyk they r trying to choke smarty to death....:(

milky648

by milky648

What size of tank Do you have ? is it a 18 gallon thats what you put for size? And how many goldfish do you have in there?

Alasse

by Alasse

Yep, the males can get really rough. My fantails are approx 5cm body length, female is a bit smaller and what i am seeing mine do is defiantely breeding behaviour.

Mine are in a 2.5ft but its only a bit over half full. I am deciding if i am going to keep them or rehome. I had them all in a 20gal for ages, no bullying. They are just maturing and the males are trying things out

Agressive Fish.....

9 posts