NEW Platy Fish has an ich ???

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

KaySeeFishies

by KaySeeFishies

my new red coral platy fish has tiny white spots on him, i've researched and people say its an ich? what should i do? its been a few days since my fish has had it. my other guppy doesnt have it...

Alasse

by Alasse

It is contagious.

Raise the temp in your tank to around 80F. Easiest treatment is to buy an over the counter ich medication from your fish store. Remove any carbon from filtration. Follow the directions on the bottle :)

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

raise the atnk to 84-86 add aquarium salt for 2 weeks then slowly bring the temperature back down to normal

if you don't, ich will continue to reproduce themselves until all your fish catch the ich and die...it's a horrible death for any fish - ich literally lives within the fish until it bursts through the scales which produce the puffy white stuff you see, by this time, the fish will die

so if you have any fish that are at this stage, best bet to put the fish down via some water and clove oil...as for the other fish, raise the temp & add salt for 2 weeks so you can save the fish

beings this post was on 12/7/2010, I wonder the stage your tank is in...if you read this, can you inform us?

(((okay, this is the last submission for me...I posted too many, time to take a break lol)

Alasse

by Alasse

Salt is best used by people with a bit of experience, if ya get it wrong things can end badly. The over the counter ich medications work well and are easy for most to use.

Personally i dont like the use of salt in freshwater tanks. Removing salt from a tank requires the water to be changed many many times. Medications only require carbon and then the tank is back to how it was, no residuals

Alasse

by Alasse

Thursday the 9th Dec 2010 is the date i get as original posting yasher, and i answered them the same day

Not the 7th Dec or for me as you have it typed 12th July 2010 *L*

If they followed my advice the problem should be cured

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

either way the problem will be cured, absolutely agree 100%

but you should know me by now (((smiles))) I prefer to take the natural way or as close to it as possible and I always refrain from any chemicals

so now it's up to KaySee to respond...what is the current status of the tank?

Alasse

by Alasse

Yep i know you *L*

But i will say salt is not natural either, especially to a freshwater tank *L* And it is much harder to remove residuals than store bought chemical.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

true aquarium salt will not evaporate unless there are water changes...but in my book *L* salt is as close to nature than man made chemicals

(((just me)))....but this fish keeper needs to at least raise the temperature to about 84-86 for 2 weeks

8 posts