bottom feeders

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

cyndrine

bottom feeders

by cyndrine

i have a 55 gal with 2 ropefish, 4 jewel cichlids, 1 chinese algae eater, 2 rainbow loaches and 1 black ghostknife.

I got the loaches for bottom feeding originally and snails. the snails are gone but they are not bottom feeding. they go to the top of the tank when i feed and eat up there.

Anyone have any idea's on a good bottom feeder that would work with the fish I have?

I won't be able to keep snails with the loaches. They ended up 7 inches long (huge). Apple snails or mystery snails are tempting since they are larger but I am afraid they would get stressed with the loaches in the tank and the other fish there as well.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

These loaches are omnivorous will eat all kinds of live foods, sinking pelleted and tablet foods, flakes, and algae. They like frozen foods as well. To keep a good balance give them a high quality flake or tablet food everyday. Feed mosquito larvae, brine shrimp (either live or frozen), tubifex, daphnia, and some vegetable foods such as algae wafers.

Trumpet snails are your best bet. They will reproduce without any aid, that is, they are both sexes. When the snails are very small/babies, the loaches will gobble them up.

But if you dislike keeping snails, then all of the above-listed suggestions will work.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

as for a good bottom feeder, get about 4-8 dwarf chain loaches or black kuhlii loach (purchase only about 3-4 of these), they will continuously feed on the bottom

bottom feeders

3 posts