Sand substrate?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

frinklinduds

Sand substrate?

by frinklinduds

can sand be used as a substrate in a freshwater aquarium. I am just curious because i love the way it looks and would love to use sand instead of gravel but i dont want to do it and end up harming fish. this is probably a dumb question ^L^
any advice is appreciated!

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

Sand is an amazing substrate to use for freshwater tanks

devina

by devina

Sand is a. Great substrate makes the tank nice and bright when switching from gravel to sand youwill get a mini cycle

frinklinduds

by frinklinduds

does the type of sand matter or can i use any that i find inside petco/petsmart or any other store?

devina

by devina

No you can. Use play sand wich I use pool filter sand silica sand all from home depot or lowes doesn't matter just wash it well and it will save a lot of money

Alasse

by Alasse

I like the look of white sand, though having said that i am getting ready to pull down a white sand based tank. While i love the look, the fish do not and have washed out and now hide as its just too bright for them

I am changing over to black sand

Sand is good, but it can have some disadvantages. It can develop dead patches with deadly gas. Its an art to clean (you do however soon work it out). If you have really strong current, it WILL travel to parts you may not want it to *L*. It can get drawn into filters and damage them or clog them.

You soon figure out if its for you or not

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Yes agreed I lovvvve sand. Used 100 lbs. of play sand from lowes paid 3.66 a bag lol as aposed to 17 a bag. It looks great the plants and fish seem to love it.

Did that blasted sand come in yet Alasse or what?

P.S. the fry are doing great! I have round 8 that I can find for now. Thanks for all your info!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Here's what you have to look forward too, even after cleaning the sand twice through oil filters lol. Just so you don't freak out and run to the forum.
ae7f1-teaser 001.jpg

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

im going to sound like a total noob right here but how do you guys clean your sand tanks? I'm guessing you just use a net//shovel and kinda sweep up the poop. Are you supposed to stir the sand around also????

Alasse

by Alasse

Dream - glad my sand tanks didnt end up like that *L*

For me personally, i use a gravel vacuum and swirl it gently above the sand, it picks up the gunk. I also run my finger gently through the exposed areas on occassion, i have MTS so they do most of the stirring for me.

Sand substrate?

12 posts • Page 1 of 2