My plan. Tips please.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

blaze687

My plan. Tips please.

by blaze687

I have a 29 gallon tank with 4 fish that has been set up for about a year. This is the stuff i plan on buying for the tank because i think it needs it. Im really looking for opinions so let me know. First the light thats on it is from a 10gallon tank. I was going to switch it to this one off ebay 24" - 30" T5 HO Light Hood Aquarium Marine Cichlid 48W. Will the change in light instantly effect or stress the fish? Next I was going to get a 350 Marineland Penguin Bio Wheel Power Filter. Any opinions on this filter? and last I saw a 30 gallon on youtube with what looked like 3 10" airstones one one each side and one on the back. Is this too much or can you have to much bubble action? And would a tetra whisper 40 be able to run all three of these air stone? Yes, lots of questions but would love to hear alot of opinions. thanks and happy to finally post something!

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Whatever you do buy Cichlids and let them eat whatever fish you have you'll thank me later. Jus sayin...
5c4a9-Video 121 0 00 22-22.jpg
60ddf-new fish 003.jpg
469b5-Video 97 0 00 45-24.jpg
a14c3-lab orange 001.jpg
a31ea-Video 120 0 00 03-32.jpg

snostorm

by snostorm

hahaha dream how random and troll-y... I actually have nothing to add... but post pics!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I think the light upgrade is a good idea. Your tank will look a lot better when it is properly lit. However, that is quite a lot of wattage, so unless you have live plants, don't leave the lights on for more than 7 or 8 hours a day or you might end up with an algae problem. Also, make sure your bulbs are for freshwater and not marine.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Do you know anything about LED's firsthand Natalie? I'm going to put a strand of LEDS in my hood with clips after christmas sale lol!

blaze687

by blaze687

I did plan on trying to grow a few plants and also hear that surface agitaion will take alot of co2 away. Would this hurt a lightly planted tank?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

@dream2reef: No, i don't know anything about LEDs. Are you talking about christmas lights? I want to get some moon lighting for one of my tanks and i think those are usually LEDs.

@blaze: Surface agitation does affect co2 levels, but i don't know how much. If i were you, i'd start with some easy-to-grow plants like crypts or anubias. Then, if you want to go more high tech in the future, you already have pretty good lights.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

always good to have 10 times the amount of filtration, so on a 29 gallon, a Penguin 350 will do very well

also never enough aeration in a tank, so the more bubbles going to the top creates more oxygen in the water column for the fish

as for the light, depends on if you have live plants or not...if you do, then a good lighting system will help much

cwilkin

by cwilkin

What plants are you planning on putting in? Are you wanting a heavily lanted tank? What fish are you planning on using?
In the future if you get to a point where you have alot of plants you wont need to put in air becuase the plants will make it. I love to watch this happen in my tank its so KOOL!!! lol
Would love to hear more about your plans

My plan. Tips please.

9 posts