Plant Problems

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Newguy70

Plant Problems

by Newguy70

High guys,

Having a problem with my tanks keeping stron health trunks, seems my plants are growing. However, they are breaking/falling apart at the base stems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is a freshwater tank, no CO2 tank, the oxygen I am generating by allowing the water to flow back into my tank thus creating oxygen, which you can see from the 2nd & 3rd picture.
8e94a-IMG_0749.JPG
7cca8-IMG_0750.JPG
50653-IMG_0751.JPG

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Plants actually do better with less aeration. Surface agitation will increase oxygen to your water, but it decreases CO2. What type of plants do you have? How much wattage per gallon do you have? And what types of fertilizers are you using and how often? From the photos it looks like the plant might be cabomba? This plant is often listed as being hardy and easy to grow, but personally, i've never had much luck with it.

Newguy70

by Newguy70

I have a dirt substrate that I picked up locally at the prt market. I am currently not using any fertilizers,27.75 gallon tank seems bigger, the dimensions are in mm 620x390x435 I think I did the conversions correct. Two 8000 watt bulbs that came with the tank, I am thinking they are too much wattage? I read should be between 5000 & 6500 watt pere bulb is that correct. Well my fish have been doing great the tank hpwas setup in aug 2010, however I have already gone thru a few plants....

Alasse

by Alasse

The stems in the 1st pic are planted to close together, you need to separate them out a bit so that they get a bit more light, that is why they are rotting off at the base yet the tops are ok.
I think you'll find that plant has higher end light requirements too and chances are not suited to your tank :)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

8000 watts? Huh? I think maybe you are looking at the kelvin rating, not the wattage? To put it in perspective, 3 watts per gallon is generally considered a high wattage tank, or about 90 watts on a 30 gallon tank. There are some plants out there that can be grown without expensive lights, co2 and frequent fertilizing. cryptocoryn wendtii is one of my favorites.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first you need to identify the type of plants you have - this will help us help you

every plant has different needs just like fish; some plants need very little light others need much light........so the best bet is, can you name the plants you have? we'll give you better advice afterwards

Newguy70

by Newguy70

Thnx guys I have been busy with the holidays, my tank plant life has gone to s#$t. Anyhow, I am going the the fish market after new years and will look at a variety of plants, and get the names that I am interested in introducing to my tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

cool...look forward to your descriptions

Plant Problems

8 posts