Opinion on new larger saltwater tank and tank mates

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to saltwater / reef tanks.

jvaccari

by jvaccari

Hello, I was wondering if people could give me their advice or opinion on this topic.
I currently have a 90 gallon tank with a snowflake eel, green wolf eel, stars and stripe puffer, green bird wrasse, velvet damsel, and tomato and percula clown I wanted to potentially get a new tank around 210- 300 gallons. My snowflake is around 18 inches and you as you know they are almost blind fish and use there sense of smell. The eel does chase around the fish but he is too slow to get a hold of them. I was debating whether or not he would be a good idea to move into the new tank. I am afraid as he gets larger he can potentially get ahold of the fish. For the new tank I was planning on moving all the fish over getting one or two lion fish, a red snapper and I was looking at the banded sharks. What do you think about these fish together? Any experience with them?

jdak702

by jdak702

Your tank is completely overstocked. The eel will take care of that tho. He will eventually catch the small fish while sleeping. Lionfish do not mix well with puffers. Your puffer will get hurt. I see its still hard to get a reply around here so if you have any other Q? you can find me at my IB at http://jdak.net

jvaccari

by jvaccari

the fish are still not fully grown hence why I am thinking about upgrading. So based of what you said it would be a good idea to get rid of the eel?

jdak702

by jdak702

Well, considering the S&S puffers minimum requirements are at least 150, which many would say 200, i would suggest an upgrade just for him. You need to decide if you are going to do a predator tank of a community/aggressive tank. Cause the damsels and puffer will do fine together but a lionfish will eat those damsels quicker than the eel. Like overnight. If you need any other advice from me, come to jdak.net cause i don't frequent here anymore. I just look at all the unanswered threads and direct them my way. I HATE RMFT!

richie1m13441

by richie1m13441

To each his own..........Go for it and keep me posted !

5 posts