Forced remodeling

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tekneb

Forced remodeling

by tekneb

So before Thanksgiving, I gave my tank a very thorough cleaning so it could impress the family and I noticed a small bit of moldy/fungusy stuff growing on the back of my driftwood. Since it was a small amount I broke off the piece that had mold and forgot about it. I looked again two days ago and the entire backside of my wood was covered in the stuff!! It was so gross, and I can't believe how quickly it spread! Needless to say, the driftwood is now gone and the tank has been completely remodeled as a result. Pics will follow shortly.

tekneb

by tekneb

Pics! So far it seems my Angels and Rainbows love the remodel, my Pleco and Redtail hate it, and as usual, the Neons don't care. And before anyone mentions it, yea I used some fake plants wanna fight about it?!
9ff16-fishtank.jpg
c22e7-fishtank2.jpg
2c6d3-fishtank3.jpg

Alasse

by Alasse

Mould on driftwood is very common, completely normal and harmless to any fish and remedies itself over time.

There are some fish that love the stuff *L*

tekneb

by tekneb

Well my fish did not "love the stuff". They were staying as far away from the wood as possible, thats what first got me wondering about it. Plus the stuff was atrocious to look at. Its bad enough that the driftwood was still turning my water tea colored 4 months after I bought it, and now even the piece itself was no longer attractive. And when I pulled the wood out, it was already rotting to the point where I could snap pieces of it off effortlessly (I'm skinny, this is usually hard for me to do, lol). I think me and driftwood just weren't meant to get along.

Alasse

by Alasse

Sorry but i think it was more your perception that the fish didnt love it. Also the pleco that you have in the tank MUST have wood avaliable to it. Plecos use the wood to aid in gut workings. As for looking bad, you said the mould was on the back of you wood, to me that means out of line of sight.

If you dont want to deal with it in tank, soak it in something else until the tannins stop and the mould goes away. In the meantime though, you really need to find a piece for your pleco. It will not do well at all and lack of wood in their diet is known to cause death

4 months is not very long, i have wood here that is still releasing tannins a year later. It is all dependant on the wood. I could very easily snap some of my pieces too, doent mean they are a problem.

As for fighting over the fact you use fake plants, who cares if ya do or dont, if you are happy with them thats all that matters. I have live, yep, but i also have 1 tank with all fake & 1 with fake/live mix.

tekneb

by tekneb

Lol the fighting over fake plants line was not meant to be taken seriously. I am well aware that the pleco needs wood to survive and I already put a smaller piece in for him. You are correct that it was on the back side of the wood but the backside of the wood is visible on the left side of the tank (it was at an angle). I'm usually at work while the lights are on in the tank so it took awhile for me to notice. Not to mention that the entire backside was covered in a week, so the front wasn't far behind. Soaking the wood in something else is far easier said then done. The piece is huge, it doesnt even fit in my bath tub (width and height not length). Lastly I highly doubt it was just my perception. Every fish other then the redtail was on the opposite side of my tank for two days before I noticed the mold and the two days before I had the time to take the wood out, including the pleco. I am not saying that your incorrect about moldy wood being harmless, or that fish might like it, but the fact is lots of things can and do go wrong with decaying matter such as driftwood, and even if the stuff is harmless, its awful to look at and far to rapidly growing for me to want to deal with it. The woods gone, the tanks rescaped, thats all there is to it, lol.

Alasse

by Alasse

What types of things go wrong with driftwood???? Providing of course you used hardwood. Though softwood can be used but it rots VERY quickly. I'm curious.

I have wood in all my tanks, have for many many years and they have never caused any issues. And yep i went through the mould times too (all wood does especially new stuff)

I'f found it to have many benefits, never found any downsides to using it, well maybe the tannins, but then they are harmless, and i can get around that anyway by using purigen.

All i can think of is you either didnt prepare it properly or the wood was the incorrect type. That can cause problems. But thats a people error, not the wood itself.

Anyway the tank looks good, a bit sparce for my liking, but still somewhat eyecatching

Forced remodeling

7 posts