Ammonia Poisoning

30 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

I am guilty of not enough water changes... but now seeing the water conditions thats going to change. I am going to be testing the water every Wed & Sun.... hopfully i see much improvement.

When you say small daily water changes, what % is small?

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

Alasse,

I have never touched my pH in any of my tanks...
I did purchase pH up yesterday to raise the pH of my tanks... Tank #1 & #2 should both have higher pH levels, especially #2 since it houses cichlids which prefer higher pH levels...

Why my pH levels are different is beyond me, i use the same source of water for all 3 tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

On Wednesday, after your water testing, you will know how much percentage of water to change out...on average, you should change out 15% on each day (do the same thing on Sunday). Be sure to add Prime after the water change, either directly to the water in the tank or to the bucket water or the water entering the tank.

After awhile you will find the whole process will take no more than 15 minutes per day. So for 30 minutes a week, you will have a great tank.

Let us know how it goes

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

on the PH, try to refrain from using chemicals...either use wood to lower the ph or sea shells/crushed coral to raise the ph

just a thought

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Judging by this tread guessing is fun! Anyway prime stresscoat tapwater conditioner all the same. read the directions all the same. I've heard of cases of ammonia spikes in tapwater killing all saltwater fish. I myself had an outbreak of some wormy guys from a spike of something all is well now. I don't test the tap every water change and from here I should be. All I know is that is something we all shoulddo it would be worth the extra check.

And Alasse you have no nitrates? come onnnn who you kidding? you have some ppm dont lie. jk you know i kid. And don't use proper grammer or puncuation.
a3e53-new fish 003.jpg

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Alasse

by Alasse

MOO - For there to be such a variation between tanks, something in them must be adjusting the PH. Please please do not mess with PH up/down. It can cause great stress to your fish. It's far better to leave the PH be

dream - I never mentioned anywhere i have no nitrates. My 5ft actually has quite high nitrates, but water changes are getting it down to an acceptable level. It will always have some because its planted.

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

is this even possible? 2 15% water changes later....

Tank #2
11/28 pH 6.8 Ammonia 3 Nitrite 5 Nitrate 120
12/1 pH 7 Ammonia .125 Nitrite 5 Nitrate 5

Happy Fishies!

theFISHsaysMOO

by theFISHsaysMOO

Alasse - Tank #3 has higher pH cuz the substrate is sand & im going to return my pH up.... Thank you for saving me $$

Alasse

by Alasse

I have sand in my tanks and is does not alter my PH at all. But then i have tanks with lots of wood in them and the wood doesnt adjust the PH either *L*

My PH sites around 8, for some fish this is recommeded (my cichlids) for others its not (neons, angels etc). I have no problems, fish are healthy.

Ammonia is turned into NitrItes, then NitrItes and turned into NitrAtes. NitrAtes are removed by plants and by water changes.

Do you have any fish in tank two, or are you feeding it? Does it have live plants?

Ammonia Poisoning

30 posts • Page 3 of 3